Vray Hair using MRPrim -- force to visible layer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Hair using MRPrim -- force to visible layer

I think I mentioned this a long time ago but here it is again.

If I use hair/fur modifier and the MR Prim method to create hair in Vray, I often get NO hair at all. This is because my active layer happens to be hidden when I submit the network render (I use RPManager which hides/unhides layers at render time). I can't tell you how many times I've ended up with 800 frames of bald people because I forgot to reset the active layer.

Can you please make Vray create the hair on a visible layer -- or just create a temporary layer at render time?

I have had to re-render many many times because of this problem and I would love to see it fixed.

Hm, which version of V-Ray are you using? I thought that was fixed a long time ago.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

The latest official one. 2.3.01

Comment

Right; I remembered the issue as well. Unfortunately I don't know how to fix it... I guess we need to think about it a bit more carefully.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Is it possible to make the hair always be generated on the Default 0 layer? That would be pretty easy from a user's standpoint, since we could make sure that one special layer (which is present in all scenes) is never set to a hidden state.

Comment

Originally posted by davision View Post
            Is it possible to make the hair always be generated on the Default 0 layer?
            Doesn't look like, that's the problem, but we'll dig a bit more into it.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

When updated, 3dsmax create a temporary file .DRA & un temporary objet en the active layer.
              Indeed when the layer is hidden, fur is not updated, so no renderable. A trick would be to generate this temp object in the same layer as the original object. But i guess this is a 3dsmax bug, not a Vray.

For me, another probleme is that the DRA temp file can get a popup error that crach my render, even through Backburner and some times, when i get really mass H&F object (i'm working on a production with a H&F crowd) even the H&FVrayShader is swap between objects...
              http://tatprod.com/

Comment

Working...
              X