Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray dirt improved control

Hi,

from other renderers i work with, i am used to use AO/Dirt maps for procedural material creation. While in the other renderers this approach works (Mental Ray and Corona) in V-ray i always have big problems achieving exact effect i need as VrayDirt does not allow for sufficient control over the effect.

When i create worn edges effect for example. I need to achieve over exaggerated effect of the dirt map, but V-ray does not allow me to go beyond distribution and falloff values of 0. (Mental Ray and Corona have "spread value" which is very intuitive and convenient way to control strength of AO effect).

Let me demonstrate:

I have a simple cube and desired radius of AO effect set to 100mm...

Vray result at distribution 0 and falloff 0, can not go any lower:

Click image for larger version

Name:	JvH0jhK.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	877253

Result that was very easily achieved in Corona renderer:

Name:	n9pVCpA.jpg
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	877254

And this is the kind of effect that i can achieve with sufficiently controllable AO/Dirt map (all the edge wearing and dirt in corners is done procedurally by AO maps and procedural textures)

Name:	hYhppg8.jpg
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	877255

I hope to see improved control in VrayDirt too

Edit: I think that practical scenario of implementation could be simply allowing the distribution parameter to go into negative values
    Last edited by LudvikKoutny; 16-02-2013, 03:37 AM.

You can pipe the VRayDirt texture through an Output map and use the curves to adjust the effect as you need - I could argue that it's a lot more intuitive...

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Here is an example.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      Attached Files

Comment

There is a big problem though... i usually put my base texture into the unoccluded or occluded slot, and if i crush VrayDirt through an output node, i will crush also all nodes that are fed into it. So if i put for example wood texture into unoccluded slot, it becomes completely black.

I could in theory use output of Vray dirt node as a mask for Mix node, but that would make my already complex node networks even more complex... (an example: )

Name:	TdmQfkU.png
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	846928

...and thus it would not be very intuitive as similar setup as one displayed above would need 18 nodes (6*dirt+6*output+6*mix) instead of 6. But although being a quite painful, it's still a functional workaround. Thanks
        Last edited by LudvikKoutny; 16-02-2013, 06:24 AM.

Comment

You could use the VrayDirt as a Mix amount in a Mix material so you're not crunching your textures, that'd be the better way to do it.
          Maxscript made easy....
          davewortley.wordpress.com
          Follow me here:
          facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_Wortley View Post
            You could use the VrayDirt as a Mix amount in a Mix material so you're not crunching your textures, that'd be the better way to do it.
            Hehe, yes, i actually wrote that in my second post already, right above the picture

Comment

Can you expand on your methodology for the example shot?
              Originally posted by Recon442 View Post
              Hi,

from other renderers i work with, i am used to use AO/Dirt maps for procedural material creation. While in the other renderers this approach works (Mental Ray and Corona) in V-ray i always have big problems achieving exact effect i need as VrayDirt does not allow for sufficient control over the effect.

When i create worn edges effect for example. I need to achieve over exaggerated effect of the dirt map, but V-ray does not allow me to go beyond distribution and falloff values of 0. (Mental Ray and Corona have "spread value" which is very intuitive and convenient way to control strength of AO effect).

Let me demonstrate:

I have a simple cube and desired radius of AO effect set to 100mm...

Vray result at distribution 0 and falloff 0, can not go any lower:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13040[/ATTACH]

Result that was very easily achieved in Corona renderer:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13041[/ATTACH]

And this is the kind of effect that i can achieve with sufficiently controllable AO/Dirt map (all the edge wearing and dirt in corners is done procedurally by AO maps and procedural textures)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13042[/ATTACH]

I hope to see improved control in VrayDirt too

Edit: I think that practical scenario of implementation could be simply allowing the distribution parameter to go into negative values

Comment

I always figured the best way would be to have a curve to control it (like in the built-in one). All you would need is a range spinner.
                Dropping the vrayDirt into an output map should in theory give you this control, but alas, it does not seem to.
                Signing out,
                Christian

Comment

Originally posted by trixian View Post
                  Dropping the vrayDirt into an output map should in theory give you this control, but alas, it does not seem to.
                  Why not? It seems to work fairly well. A curve control inside VRayDirt itself will not do anything much different.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Tbh, it has been a while since I tried, so my understanding of this is based on my recollection of my failed attempt at getting the vrayDirt map to behave as I wanted.
                    Regarding your comment, I didn't actually mean that it would be solved by having its own internal output curve controll (the same one as in vanilla max), just that the curve might not be adjusting the dirt "gradient" in the same way one expects, so there might be a slight incompatibility between what the map produces and what the "output-curves" expect.
                    I guess I'll have to try again to make sure
                    Signing out,
                    Christian

Comment

Working...
                    X