No announcement yet.

Unlocked RGB Exponent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO Peter Guthrie is overrated , dude knows how to color correct a raw render to photorealism though!
    admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
    Mastering CGI
    CGSociety Folio
    CREAM Studios
    Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Yeah you're right I'm just being kind, he's really a total hack :P

Comment

How about being able to use IOR Measured Data as some renders do? is it possible with vray, may be not 100% accurate, but still will be a good step forward to realism.

Comment

Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
          IMO Peter Guthrie is overrated , dude knows how to color correct a raw render to photorealism though!
          Originally posted by joconnell View Post
          Yeah you're right I'm just being kind, he's really a total hack :P
          Photoshop FTW guys!
          www.peterguthrie.net
          www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
          www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Damn you and your stills

Comment

Is there an easier way to do this now? or do you still have to split the RGB in a falloff map to get the fringing.

If anyone has any tutorials I can follow to get the result grant posted that would be great.

Cheers.

Comment

I too am having a hard time believing the color fringing is caused by an effect that could be achieved by separating glossiness values for RGB channels.

If you take a look at that picture, there are so many more factors that could lead to the fringing:

1, Very strong highlights:
                Especially when it's metal, it reflects lights very strongly - camera lens then shows glares around highlights, and those glares often some kind of chromatic aberration tint - V-Ray Lens Effects even simulate that using diffraction checkbox

2, Lighting of the metal material is not likely to be completely neutral white, but rather combination of a few lights of different white points. That can cause fringing on materials that are not perfectly mirror, such as this case

3, Cameras often apply some sort of response curve to the image, which can shift the colors even little bit further

4, There can be applied all sorts of color corrections/color grading to the picture.

5, All these effects above can be further amplified by metal having slight, for example copper hue, throwing off camera's white balance even further.

My point being you will likely need a lot more reference images under different lighting conditions and different angles to accurately evaluate what's going on with the material's reflective properties, let alone request features based on it. One zoomed potato camera picture won't do.

Comment

Working...
                X