VRay for solar analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay for solar analysis

We've done a few of these, and most probably will do many more, however we have to use Mental Ray. The reasoning for this is two-fold. Firstly, Mental Ray has done a good job of touting itself as being able to do solar analysis, so the people in charge insist on using it. Secondly, VRay doesn't have a 1:1 feature set with Mental Ray when it comes to physical accuracy. It may well be down to a difference in terminology, but MR says it takes into account physical material properties by being able to tell something to be Concrete, Glass, etc.

We would very much like to use VRay for this, but I would say a few things need to happen to convince clients and directors. First, a paper or study focused on solar analysis and accuracy, by stepping through the workflow, and comparing/verifying the results with Mental Ray and, say, Ecotect. Secondly, the CIE sky model is good, but the Perez model is better (and recognized as being better), so an implementation of that would be good.

If you are willing to work with us on that, we can certainly do it. Please email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com and we'll figure out how to approach it.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Id be happy to help, this is very important for me, and didnt realise that MR had the upper hand!

Comment

It's not so much of an upper hand, but more like a reputation. I know for a fact that the mr results are sometimes a bit off (which is why comparing the V-Ray results to mr as a form of validation is maybe not the best idea).

But anyways, like I said, feel free to email me and we can figure out how to approach this.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          It's not so much of an upper hand, but more like a reputation. I know for a fact that the mr results are sometimes a bit off (which is why comparing the V-Ray results to mr as a form of validation is maybe not the best idea).
          Exactly - they've marketed this way. It reminds me of when certain other renderers proclaim they have a brand new innovative feature, which is in fact quite old!

Comment

Vlado, I shot you an email a few weeks ago, and a PM - did you get either?

Comment

bumpity bump!

Comment

Just sent you a reply; sorry for the delay! It's been crazy here...

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Working...
                X