Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synchronize VRay Render Element names between software packages by default?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synchronize VRay Render Element names between software packages by default?

Just wanted to put in a request to have V-Ray's Render Element names which get written to mutli-channel EXRs be the same by default between software packages if possible.
    For instance, for the diffuse component Render Element:

3ds Max calls it VRayDiffuseFilter by default.
    Maya calls it Diffuse by default.

This causes breaks in comp when I have premade comp trees using shuffle nodes to split apart the render elements, but depending on which package the render came from, the shuffle node wont find the correctly named render element channel. I know it's possible to change the names manually in 3ds max / maya or re-target the shuffle node in Nuke, but it becomes an added headache and slowdown to remember what the other software calls it. So it'd be nice if they all came out of the box with the same name.

Just something to consider - thanks!
    Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
    Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
    V-Ray DMC Calculator

Unfortunately changing them now will break too many existing workflows for too many people.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

It'd be easier to do something like some maxscript to add your default elements and automatically change their names instead?

Comment

Understandable - maybe a simple solution could be to add a checkbox like 'V-Ray Universal Naming' or something which when checked would change the render element's name to the synchronized naming convention? Have it off by default so existing workflows dont get broken.

Here's a mockup - just a thought:

Click image for larger version

Name:	UVN.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	850121

Thanks!
        Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
        Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
        V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment