wysiwyg procedural map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wysiwyg procedural map

I know that is it not 100% Under Chaos Group hands, but having a Procedural preview that match the viewport that itself match the rendering will really make a huge improvement in workflow.
    Autodesk advice to play with the material scale option (useless in most case):http://www.3dmax-tutorials.com/Show_..._Viewport.html
    Famous CG artist advice some tricks: http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/.../t-883729.html

But all sounds like middle age in the 21 Century....
    By the way, Bercon map is not supported by Vray RT in GPU mode!

Try neil blevins soulburn scripts - there's one called texmap preview that'll do a quick scanline render of your object and a picked map.

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
      Try neil blevins soulburn scripts - there's one called texmap preview that'll do a quick scanline render of your object and a picked map.
      Thanks,
      Yes, tried it, but it's really trial & error workflow that takes time. I'm wondering how CG artist manage it in production.

Comment

To see exactly what your procedural is doing at any given point, you would need a render-to-texture preview, or support in RT to see it interactively. Pre-rendering them out from the mat editor only gives you an indication of scale
        Signing out,
        Christian

Comment

Originally posted by trixian View Post
          To see exactly what your procedural is doing at any given point, you would need a render-to-texture preview, or support in RT to see it interactively. Pre-rendering them out from the mat editor only gives you an indication of scale
          Yes, RT is fine for standard procedural.
          I'm wondering if it the case with all 3D package or if it's only related to Max.

Comment

Being a few years since I last used it, I seem to remember Maya having a decent viewport display of procedurals, though not speedy.
            Signing out,
            Christian

Comment

Im sure its already been pointed out but all display of textures in the view port are 2d maps ,most procedurals are 3D in shaderspace. Without baking out the map or doing a test render there is no way to determine what the value is in 3d space without answering that question, and that takes time. Shading calls are expensive and some procedurals like cellular are quite expensive. Its not that the max developers just took some kind of shortcut its just the way the math works. to get realtime procedurals in the viewport to are talking about going with a games/ogl type approach. Thats fine but the shader code is set up completely differently.

-Michael

Comment

I think all you need to do is to understand scale and how does procedural map work...
                CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Tbh, I'd rather see proper support for the existing procedurals in RT, in addition to any Chaos feels like adding as their own (including the blends and mapping varieties etc.).
                  Tweaking materials interactively is by far the best way.
                  Maybe Chaos can make the mat editor sample-balls more like the rendered result. Like Coronas approach?
                  Signing out,
                  Christian

Comment

Working...
                  X