Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some kind of disable in viewport / don't load option for vrmesh files

Hi Folks,

If you've got some large vrmesh files or a sequence of vrmeshes, it'll kill your viewport performance if you've large caches being read. Could you put in an option to turn off the vrmesh loading in the viewports? Also would it be possible to have an option where if the vray mesh is hidden, it doesn't put any hit on your 3dsmax scrubbing? Or is there a deeper 3dsmax issue relating to this?

Cheers!

John

You could set the preview mode to "point" I think. For 3.0 this will cause the .vrmesh file to not be loaded at all for the viewports; not sure if this went into 2.4 though.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Much appreciated!

I found the vrmesh format very robust as an export from houdini and Naiad, even though it's not it's original purpose would it be difficult to allow a breaking of the proxy / lazy loading features and allow vray proxies to be post modified? It's moving proxy away from it's original intention but it could almost make up for max's poor alembic support. I'm jumping over to maya land on the next project but it might be a useful thing generally?

Thanks again!

Comment

You're in luck there - in Maya, we can load the full proxy mesh in the viewports and you can then use it as a regular mesh. It's on the "to do" list to implement it for 3ds Max too. But I was kind of hoping that Alembic would take over that role; it's difficult for us to support both the delayed-style loading and the proxy use as a general file format for geometry transport.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

As ever, you're a superstar.

Comment

Working...
          X