Opensubdiv Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opensubdiv Support

I know Vlado you've discussed with me before the reasons NOT to implement opensubdiv directly in the renderer, but I'd still like to add it to the wishlist because I think its important.

I guess at the very least, if autodesk includes opensubdiv support in max, vray could render the resulting mesh? But I assume vray still couldn't do the view dependent tessellation without moving the code into the render engine itself?

- Neil

Actually we already have OpenSubdiv support in V-Ray 3.0 beta for Maya. However, it is still not a view-dependent tessellation, rather it's like a smooth operator applied at render time. It does support creases and Ptex though.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

That's great. If it's not view dependent tessellation, then how does it decide how many smooth iterations to apply to the mesh? is it just using the "Display Subdivisions" value? And may I assume this feature will eventually make its way to vray for max?

- Neil

Comment

Originally posted by soulburn3d View Post
        That's great. If it's not view dependent tessellation, then how does it decide how many smooth iterations to apply to the mesh?
        The user manually specifies the number of iterations.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Sorry, forgot the second part; yes, we will probably add this to 3ds Max at one point, but let's first see what issues will come up in Maya

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Thanks Vlado, I understand, best to get it shored up in maya first, but then will be really happy to see it make its way to max. Maybe by then max will have it implemented so we can see the results in the viewport too

- Neil

Comment

Hi great news!
              Yes we NEED IT badly in max too Don't wait for Autodesk to implement it! Since they bough 3dsmax it's no longer the same.. little shitty upgrade every years, moving things around and creating more instability in max then ever.. the skinning and biped and reaction manager are all super bugged.. etc. And I read that in a presentation, a guy from Autodesk say's that max is not that type of sofware ( to have Opensubdiv support etc) so.. you see.. if they integrate it,gonna take YEARS.. so don't wait for them please!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigguns View Post
                Hi great news!
                Yes we NEED IT badly in max too Don't wait for Autodesk to implement it! Since they bough 3dsmax it's no longer the same.. little shitty upgrade every years, moving things around and creating more instability in max then ever.. the skinning and biped and reaction manager are all super bugged.. etc. And I read that in a presentation, a guy from Autodesk say's that max is not that type of sofware ( to have Opensubdiv support etc) so.. you see.. if they integrate it,gonna take YEARS.. so don't wait for them please!
                So agree with you !
                (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

3DS Max 2015 now supports Opensubdiv in Extensions 1! Looks pretty cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cy3niOZ7nA
                  "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
                  Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Yes I was so surprise (and happy! ) to see that! Look's like the new dev team on max at Autodesk is delivering much more then the other teams before! I'm seeing lights in the tunnel lol so maybe max2016 will have a lot of new cool and original features.. let's wait and see! but this extension 1 is more valuable to me then the last 4 update of max combined lol.

Comment

I think the gui update is also kind of cool.....but that's just me.
                      The open subdiv is a definatley a good thing. Maybe importing Bifrost?

Comment

Working...
                      X