Wish: VRayBlendMtl respect MatID through Vector Map masks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish: VRayBlendMtl respect MatID through Vector Map masks

When using Vector Maps as material masks in a VRayBlendMtl the material effect id is not preserved. Using a standard bitmap as the mask (instead of vector map) will mask the material id properly. Not sure if this has been fixed in 3.0 - we're still on 2.4...
    Christopher Grant
    Director of Visualization, HMC Architects
    Portfolio, ChristopherGrant.com

Would it be possible to send us example scene about this issue ?
    I've just run a quick test and it worked fine here even with 2.40.04 version.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Absolutely. Here's a comparison image / scene that shows if you blend a Red material with a Blue material the material id is not preserved inside the vector map mask.

RGB
      Click image for larger version

Name:	sample.RGB_color.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	851480

MultiMatte
      Click image for larger version

Name:	sample.MultiMatteElement.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	851481

3ds Max 2014 scene with 2 map files.
      3dsMax_VRayBlendMtl-VectorMapMask-FR.zip
      Christopher Grant

Comment

Which particular 3ds Max 2014 SP do you have? This scene works fine for me in the 3.0 builds (still need to check 2.4).

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I'm using 3ds Max Design 2014 SP3 on my workstation. Just tried the sample file with the new SP4 and it doesn't work either.

I'm using VRay 2.40.04... Maybe it was fixed in the nightlies which is why its working on your end?
          Last edited by cgrant3d; 27-02-2014, 07:55 PM.
          Christopher Grant

Comment

It doesn't work for me with Vray 2.40.04 and also with the latest 2.x Nightly, but it works fine with 3.00.03.
            It seams that some file-formats works with 2.40.04 and some doesn't - on my yesterday test I used *.pat file and it generated successfully Multimatte-masks but this is not the case with *.pdf.
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

I'm not surprised a pdf didn't work, as it most likely has a solid alpha (something like the document BG).
              While I really want to upgrade to 3x very soon, I'm not sure how fast I can convince my boss, so any fixes in regards to this issue in 2x would be very welcome for the time being.
              Signing out,
              Christian

Comment

Originally posted by trixian View Post
                While I really want to upgrade to 3x very soon, I'm not sure how fast I can convince my boss, so any fixes in regards to this issue in 2x would be very welcome for the time being.
                If it's an easy fix, we'll port it to the 2.x branch for sure.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Great. Haven't encountered this issue yet, but nice to see things fixed.
                  Signing out,
                  Christian

Comment

I am using falloff mask and other procedural as masks in a blend material with multi layer and I can't get multimatte element to read the material id... with vray 3 official build. is it supposed to work?

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
                    Little Antman
                    See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
                    Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

Originally posted by jstrob View Post
                      I am using falloff mask and other procedural as masks in a blend material with multi layer and I can't get multimatte element to read the material id... with vray 3 official build. is it supposed to work?
                      It will work only with on/off blend maps (pure black or white). Since the ID is an integer value, there's not a way to blend properly when you have grey values like falloffs or other procedurals.

You can use the VRayMtlSelect render element though - the alpha for that render element will contain a mask for the specific material, which takes into account falloffs etc.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

I tried also with VRayMtlSelect but I got a black pass...

edit: ok with the vraymtlselect I have to look in the alpha! Probably I checked only the RGB. I will check that.

Edit: Finally I have some layer that works and one that does not work. When I use a falloff as a mask it works but with a stucco procedural texture, the matlselect renders black. And BTW the alpha is not affected. The ones with the fallof are now appearing in the RGB since I checked color mapping but the alpha is just taking the entire objects into account.
                        Last edited by jstrob; 16-04-2014, 09:22 AM.

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
                        Little Antman
                        See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
                        Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

Working...
                        X