Dynamic bucket splitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic bucket splitting

While the new dynamic bucket splitting feature is fantastic, and useful for speeding up render times, we have noticed that on certain jobs, renders can get held up on the last bucket and blow out our render times. At this time, there are a number of idle threads, that could be utilized. Would it be possible in this scenario for vray to restart and subdivide the remaining bucket to better utilize multiple threads? The restarting of buckets could be determined based on a user specified threshold of idle threads.

It not impossible certainly, but it's a bit tricky. We will get to it sooner or later (I hope sooner).

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

great thanks Vlado

Comment

That's exactly the same issue I'm having here I think. I have a number of buckets that have completed their tasks. I thought that dynamic splitting would then split the remaining buckets between the available threads to half and even quarter of the original bucket size, maintaining higher efficient use of available threads/buckets.
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

I was thinking if we could just have a percentage value that specifies when dynamic splitting occurs.

Right now it seems to kick in when there's about 10% of the image remaining, but it'd be nice if we could set it to kick in when there's about 25% of the image remaining, to better avoid those last stuck buckets.

That shouldn't be too hard to implement, right?
          Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
          Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
          V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment

What about dynamic splitting according to reflection and refraction samples/glossy value, I find that's the killer in scenes where you have one element that can be anywhere in the frame and because it has low glossy settings holds up buckets even when the rest of the frame may have finish. Just an idea. not even sure if it is possible.
            Gavin Jeoffreys
            Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Working...
            X