MultiScatter Texture Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MultiScatter Texture Alternative

Hi Guys! We're transitioning from Multiscatter to Forestpack Pro, so far both plugins work great with V-Ray. The only thing we're missing from Multiscatter is the Multiscatter Texture. Any chance we can see a V-Ray alternative for Multiscatter Texture that works independently from Multiscatter?
    REDVERTEX
    redvertex.com

why not use the forest pro equivalent?
    www.peterguthrie.net
    www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
    www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

The Forest Pro equivalent doesn't work with objects that are not scattered with the plugin. We want to use it for objects that usually are not scattered (cars, people, etc.)
      REDVERTEX
      redvertex.com

Comment

ah ok, have you investigated the vraymultisubtex?
        www.peterguthrie.net
        www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
        www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Check out the crossmap from vizpark
          Chris Jackson
          Shiftmedia
          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Crossmap doesn't have an option for colors, just bitmaps. And 40 Euro per workstation seems a bit steep for a simple plugin.

VRayMultiSubTex works well but it's based only on Object or Material IDs. We use the IDs for masks in the post processing, so it's not a good option for us. Any chance we can get a random function for VRayMultiSubTex that isn't based on Mat or Obj IDs?
            REDVERTEX
            redvertex.com

Comment

Originally posted by REDVERTEX View Post
              VRayMultiSubTex works well but it's based only on Object or Material IDs. We use the IDs for masks in the post processing, so it's not a good option for us. Any chance we can get a random function for VRayMultiSubTex that isn't based on Mat or Obj IDs?
              We can certainly add a random option, but we still need to take the random seed from somewhere. This could be the render ID, the object ID or the material ID. Which one would be most appropriate? Or all of these combined?

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Does it have to be ID? We're using all these IDs and usually the objects that we want randomized have the same IDs. (eg. all cars are ObjectID 9)

Isn't it possible to randomly assign the colors to the objects using the map based on a separate seed that has nothing to do with Object or Mat IDs?

I'm not sure how MultiScatter Texture does it exactly but it doesn't seem to be linked to any Object or Material IDs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	multiscatter textures.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	852048
                Last edited by REDVERTEX; 22-05-2014, 09:16 AM.
                REDVERTEX
                redvertex.com

Comment

Try bercon maps (on maxplugins.de). I recently added forest pro support to BerconGradient in random mode.

Comment

Originally posted by REDVERTEX View Post
                    Isn't it possible to randomly assign the colors to the objects using the map based on a separate seed that has nothing to do with Object or Mat IDs?
                    Of course, but you still want consistent results f.e. in an animation from one frame to the next, so the color has to be locked to something. It is easy to choose a random color for each object, but what about the different parts of that object which have different face material IDs? Do you want the colors to be different between those components as well? Do you expect the color to be consistent if you XRef a scene into another scene (an object might be randomly assigned one color in a scene, but some other color when XRef'd into another scene)?

I'm not that familiar with MultiScatter, so I wouldn't know...

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Yes, we need the colors to be consistent between all frames of the animation, so it can't be based on the position of the object. We need the colors to be the same for the whole object, regardless of the mat id of the different faces.

For XRef scenes, it's important for the colors to be the same when the scene is rendered separately and when it's used as an XRef. E.g. if a box is blue when I render my file, it should remain blue when somebody xrefs my scene and renders my box.

We mainly need this for randomizing colors of cars and vegetation in big scenes.
                      REDVERTEX
                      redvertex.com

Comment

Ok, so that makes using render ID or node handle out of the question; would it be ok to use the object name to randomize the seed?

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

I'd like to inject that as far as I have seen, as of recently, the most advanced/complete randomization setup for materials is Vizpark's VPcrossmap.

It might be bad karma/sportsmanship, but I'd really like to see that kind of functionality if you guys are making your own.

That being said, I have had some issues with DR slaves rendering different random textures while using their "Walls & Tiles" material which uses VPcrossmap for texture selections and distributions, but I don't know if this is the plugins fault or on my end.
                          Signing out,
                          Christian

Comment

While on the subject,
                            Vlado, Could you please make the vraymultisubtext read materialbyElement mod, right now i do several versions of the same shader changing only the diffuse texture, that way it simplify things for me. Im using MultiMatteElement to assign especific ID from the material ID itself. Is this possible?
                            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Arch Pedro A. Solano
                            "Save the irradiance map, save the render"
                            Vray 3.10.03|3DMax 2011 x64|Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @3.4GHz|16GB Ram|Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
                            Follow us on facebook
                            Visit us on PSolano

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                              Ok, so that makes using render ID or node handle out of the question; would it be ok to use the object name to randomize the seed?

Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              Hi Vlado,
                              I think that the best and easiest way to do this is just extend the "Get ID from:" list of the VRayMultiSubTex with a few more options. This map already has great features and adding few more options how to distribute the maps(colors) will make it even greater.
                              Here is a list of options that can be added:
                              Name, Node handle, Render ID, Element, Face, Particle ID

If you are using xref scenes you can choose Name to keep consistency. The other five options will be great added value to the map.
                              Thanks.

Kind regards,
                              Dimitar Nenov
                              REDVERTEX
                              redvertex.com

Comment

Working...
                              X