Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Master switch for Basic/Advanced/Expert modes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master switch for Basic/Advanced/Expert modes?

Since these mode switches were introduced with 3.0, I've found myself clicking hundreds of times just to set everything to Expert. This is rather tiring.

I suggest either a master switch in the Global Switches panel, or being able to switch the switches off globally, and just show all vray render options all the time.

If this option already exists, please someone tell me where.
    www.whiteview.se

Right-click on any of the switchers - you will get a menu "switch all to basic/advanced/expert". For more info see here: http://docs.chaosgroup.com/pages/vie...etweentheViews

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Great! Apparently I wasn't expert enough to know that. Haha
      www.whiteview.se

Comment

Set it as default ?

Hi,
        Is there a way to have Expert mode set as the default setting so I don't have to right click on the switcher and choose "Switch all to Expert" each time I create a new scene please ?
        Last edited by AltoR; 20-06-2014, 02:00 AM.
        BOKEH Studio

Comment

Are you guys serious?

Comment

Yes I'm serious: I used to work with VRay 2.40 and I recently switched to VRay 3. This new version comes with a lot of great features and it comes with this anoying new switcher too. And I must say that it is quite boring having to right click and choose "switch all to expert" each time I create a new scene. I perfectly understand it is for sure advantageous for VRay beginers, but for people who are used to older versions of the software, it can not be considered as a progress. And when it comes to daily work, each click counts. So, each time I can avoid one, I do it. In the present case, I thought that it was just a matter of changing a line in a something like VRay.ini file to tell the software to run in Expert mode by default, one time for all. But maybe I'm wrong and maybe it is more complicated.
            BOKEH Studio

Comment

I'd set up a max file with the renderer you want to use, the frame rate you normally use, gamma settings, frame length settings and so on and then save this as a maxstart.max file in your project / scenes folder or wherever you have defined for your max files in the project manager - it'll load up every fresh scene with these settings.

Comment

Thank you. I did not think to do that. It works
                BOKEH Studio

Comment

Yeah it's not bad and the nice thing is it goes beyond vray so you can have consistent units across files - very handy for a few people working on similar tasks all using the same maxstart!

Comment

Thank you again !
                    BOKEH Studio

Comment

Agree these switchers are really not the best new feature ...
                      At least a ini file to totally disable them and have same expert UI all the time without switchers at all would be nice !

Anyway :

Another solution with maxscript, so each time max load a file it turn all VRay panels to expert :
                      Just put the code in a startup script.

================
                      function setVRayExpert =
                      (
                      vr=renderers.current
                      vrName = vr as string
                      if findString vrName "V_Ray_Adv_3" != undefined then
                      (
                      rdropen = 0
                      if (renderSceneDialog.isOpen() == true) then rdropen = 1
                      renderSceneDialog.close()

vr.gi_ui_view = 2
                      vr.irradmap_ui_view = 2
                      vr.lightcache_ui_view = 2
                      vr.caustics_ui_view = 1
                      vr.colormapping_ui_view = 2
                      vr.system_ui_view = 2
                      vr.options_ui_view = 2

if (rdropen == 1) then renderSceneDialog.open()
                      clearlistener()
                      )
                      )

callbacks.removescripts id:#VRayExpertPostLoad
                      callbacks.addscript #filePostOpenProcess "setVRayExpert()" id:#VRayExpertPostLoad
                      ================

Comment

The script trick doesn't seem to work in my case, I don't know why.
                        Anyway, just like suggested John O'Connell, I created a new scene, with all expert mode on, and saved it as my maxstart.max file and it works fine now.
                        Thank you KiboOst
                        BOKEH Studio

Comment

Working...
                        X