Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preview Domelight HDRI in Viewport

Hi,

It would be cool to be able to preview the alignment of the HDRI loaded in a domelight inside the viewport without workarounds when the option "lock to orientation" is on.
    Maybe just a checkbox where I can see in the viewport where which party of my HDRI would be.

On a side note - I noticed that the U/V offset is kinda different when using it in environment slots compared to the domelight. What would be the correct procedure of actually seeing my HDRI and rotating it to my liking in the viewport?
    Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    3ds Max 2016 SP4
    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
    64GB RAM

DxDiag

DomeLight Texture currently cannot be displayed inside the Viewport - you can use V-Ray RT for that purpose.

According to the U/V offset - would you please give us more information (with examples) what exactly you would like to achieve?
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
      It would be cool to be able to preview the alignment of the HDRI loaded in a domelight inside the viewport without workarounds when the option "lock to orientation" is on.
      Yes, it is somewhere on the "to do" list to look into that. We do it in Maya, hopefully it's not a big problem for 3ds Max.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar_draganov View Post
        According to the U/V offset - would you please give us more information (with examples) what exactly you would like to achieve?
        Will do as soon as I find some time. Basically I preview my HDR alignment by piping the HDR as a bitmap node into the environment slot (max key and adjusting the U or V offset until it is located/rotated nicely. When I then put that offsets inside the VRayHDRI Map, I get a different result. (Bitmap setting: Environment - Spherical, VRayHDRI setting: Spherical) maybe it has to do something with degrees and radians? I dunno at the moment.

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        We do it in Maya, hopefully it's not a big problem for 3ds Max.
        The max API/architecure must be pretty horrible I imagine. So much stuff that you can do already in maya even though you had vray far longer for 3ds max :P
        Software:
        3ds Max 2016 SP4
        V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
        64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Will do as soon as I find some time. Basically I preview my HDR alignment by piping the HDR as a bitmap node into the environment slot (max key and adjusting the U or V offset until it is located/rotated nicely. When I then put that offsets inside the VRayHDRI Map, I get a different result. (Bitmap setting: Environment - Spherical, VRayHDRI setting: Spherical) maybe it has to do something with degrees and radians? I dunno at the moment.
          Hi,

You need to set V-Ray HDRI map to 3ds max standard mapping type instead of the spherical one. This way the custom Offset values added to the Coordinates section will be taken into account.
          Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Cool. But what is the VRay one then there for? It must do anything better for VRay otherwise there wouldnt be any sense in implementing it, right?
            Software:
            3ds Max 2016 SP4
            V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
            64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

I believe they both are similar and work as expected. Just the support for 3DS Max native mapping was added little bit later.
              Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
              Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
              X