Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sample Rate by bitmap mask?

Hey,

I remembered seeing a feature request quite a while ago about object- or shaderbased sampling rate settings (such as renderman has) and I think someone said it is on a todo list but difficult to implement in max?
    Anyways, what about the same principles as the newly introduced rendermasks, but for sampling rates? (By the way, I LOVE the rendermasks).
    Maybe I can draw some kind of heatmap where I say I want this region sampled more than another one.
    I thought of this since I'm currently rendering an image which takes VERY long to render despite all tweaks I could imagine (practically an ice scene, more or less purely refracted/reflected surfaces) and I know that later in postproduction a certain area of my image is gonna be out of focus anyways, it would be nice to be able to tell the renderer to sample those areas less than the later in-focus areas, via a mask.
    Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    3ds Max 2016 SP4
    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
    64GB RAM

DxDiag

Hmm, I wonder how this'd work in the context of a raytracer. Say for example your final image is going to be out of focus on the left, sharp on the right so you use less samples on the left. What if the right side is reflecting the lower sampled objects on the left? It'd surely be showing the dirtier shading of those objects and might miss the objective?

Actually thinking of it, would this be something that might suit better with the progressive renderer then?

Comment

Yeah you're right about the reflection qualities, interesting. What I rather meant though are the image samples, not the DMC ones. Anyways, I'm sure it would be possible to override the mask if a certain noise threshold isnt met when the sample comes from a low-sampled area of the image.
      It would be really cool if its in the normal bucket renderer though since I think it's more reliable for complex production quality renders. I use the progressive pretty much only for fast previews and I love it.
      Software:
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

This is still on the "to do" list, but sadly we haven't gotten round to it yet. Will get there.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Maybe a zdepth pass calculated prior to the rendering can control the sampling?
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            This is still on the "to do" list, but sadly we haven't gotten round to it yet. Will get there.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            Good to hear! I hope this is high on top on your priority list since I think it would be a tremendous addition to be able to control sample rates to a finer degree!

About the ZDepth, it could be an option, too.
            Software:
            3ds Max 2016 SP4
            V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
            64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
              Good to hear! I hope this is high on top on your priority list since I think it would be a tremendous addition to be able to control sample rates to a finer degree!
              Or more likely give users another option to shoot themselves in the foot

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                Or more likely give users another option to shoot themselves in the foot

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Until someone comes along with a script to visualize which shaders/objects got sampling rate overrides, and the ability to reset them. Only, of course, if you don't have implemented such a list by then

Apart from that you introduced the Beginner/Advanced/Expoert tabs for the render settings, I'm sure that using overrides won't be available in the Beginner tab
                Software:
                3ds Max 2016 SP4
                V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
                64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Working...
                X