Clear All

• VRayBoundingEdgeMap

Hi!

Click image for larger version

Name:	VRayBoundingEdgeMap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	880767

I imagined this may be a nice addition to the VRayMaps.

Basically this map would be the same as EdgesTex, only it will not overlay ALL the edges (illustrated black in the picture as example), but only like the "convex bounding mesh"? If that makes any sense.
    Basically when you have sculpting software there is this brush which only affects outer hard edges (with angle threshold). This would be similar.

The reasons I thought of this are the following:
    • I have a rendering for which a sampler threshold of 0.1 (no, I did not forget a zero) is sufficient for most parts of the image. There are some low contrast areas though where it produces very jaggy edges, noticable to the viewer.
      Now if I had some way of getting a quick mask of these edges (not the sampleRate element, doesn't do what I want) where I can blur or do whatever in post with it that would be nice.
    • It could serve as some kind of low-res-wireframe element. I've had several cases in the past where I wanted to render a wireframe for makingOf-purposes but the mesh was too dense and I had to simplify it first. That element would automatically take care of that.

Now I know this would propably not end up high on your priority list, and that's okay, I just thought it may be a nice feature. What does the rest of the community say to this? Am I being dumb and that mask could be achieved another way (simply!)? Other use cases? Total garbage? Let me know!
    Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    3ds Max 2016 SP4
    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
    64GB RAM

DxDiag

By default the edges texture will only color edges that are not "hidden". Which means that you can hide edges that you don't want to be colored. However it is beyond the scope of the edges texture to do an actual convex hull.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Okay so that means I could somehow via a script hide all edges that fit this criteria and then apply the EdgesTex map. Kinda not simple, but definitely a way.
      Software:
      Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

As a workaround, Use SoulburnScript "edgeselectByAngle" and then select only the outer edges based on angle you specify, then create spline from those edge selections. Then give the spline a thickness and you can use its VRayWireColor Element, or whatever you like to get a mask from it. Not the best solution, but may work in some cases
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

Working...
        X