Get resolution from max.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get resolution from max.

By default the "get resolution from max" is enabled. Why is that? Because the vray documentation states the following:

"Even though you select the V-Ray VFB as your output, the 3ds Max VFB is still created and thus takes additional memory. If you want to reduce that memory, you need to uncheck the Get resolution from MAX option, set the 3ds Мax resolution to a low value like 100 x 100, and then select your real output resolution in the V-Ray VFB options."

Is it possible to turn it off by default and have a checkbox locking Max's native RFW to the aspect ratio choosen in the VFB rollout (and keeping the overall resolution small?), so the safe frame's are still correct (as I suspect that was the main reason for getting the resolution from max).

Example. I put in my resolution of 1400 x 1000 in the VFB rollout, locking the aspect ratio to 1.4, by default "get resolution from max" is off and by default a new checkbox with "send aspect ratio to Max RFW" is on. This in turn puts the resolution of max to something with a maximum of 100 in this case 100 x71 also locked to a ratio of 1.4, making sure Safe Frame ratio is the same.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

You could script it
    BUT
    Unless you're rendering HUGE with plenty elements, you don't have to worry about this

For example we usually render at 4000 wide and about 26 Elements on systems with only 32GB Ram, and we don't need to worry about it. Then we usually also have CAD open and a bunch of PSD, web browser etc

This feature to save RAM was VERY useful way back when our systems had like 512MB Ram or 1GB Ram. Now days only time when you have to worry about ram is when you're going like 10K or higher, or having issues with displacement
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
      You could script it
      BUT
      Unless you're rendering HUGE with plenty elements, you don't have to worry about this

For example we usually render at 4000 wide and about 26 Elements on systems with only 32GB Ram, and we don't need to worry about it. Then we usually also have CAD open and a bunch of PSD, web browser etc

This feature to save RAM was VERY useful way back when our systems had like 512MB Ram or 1GB Ram. Now days only time when you have to worry about ram is when you're going like 10K or higher, or having issues with displacement
      Ah, Well last scene I was rendering was nearing 56GB of use, don't know how much it would be with the RFW at a 4K resolution too.
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
      X