savable presets for V-ray displacement modifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• savable presets for V-ray displacement modifier

Would there be any chance of savable/loadable presets for things like the V-ray displacement modifier? Sort of like there is with Maya's V-ray displacement node.

(in an ideal world, all modifiers in 3ds Max would have this by default but that's dreaming I think)

+1 for me on this one
    Nicolas Caplat
    www.intangibles.fr

Comment

For me this would only make sense if the corresponding map is saved with it.
      Software:
      Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Hmmm clever !
        Nicolas Caplat
        www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Maybe procedural texture map like bricks and leather. Now, that would be cool.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Basically just any node that you create settings for presets would be handy. Another that springs to mind is V-ray fur. In Maya you can just load a saved preset on your V-ray fur node, in Max you have to manually enter all the settings from scratch

The way V-ray displacement is handled in Maya is also much more flexible, Create > V-Ray > Apply single VRayDisplacement node to selection and then you can just add any/remove objects you want to be affected by that particular displacement node any time you want.
            I imagine it's a limit of Max's more rigid, less node-based architecture though?

EDIT: one thing I just noticed is that when creating a new V-ray displacement mod, it uses the settings most recent one? So that's kinda halfway there I guess haha.
            Last edited by Richard7666; 21-12-2014, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard7666 View Post
              The way V-ray displacement is handled in Maya is also much more flexible, Create > V-Ray > Apply single VRayDisplacement node to selection and then you can just add any/remove objects you want to be affected by that particular displacement node any time you want.
              I imagine it's a limit of Max's more rigid, less node-based architecture though?
              You can apply a single VRayDisplacementMod modifier over multiple objects in 3ds Max too - though it's not quite the same thing.

EDIT: one thing I just noticed is that when creating a new V-ray displacement mod, it uses the settings most recent one? So that's kinda halfway there I guess haha.
              This is handled by 3ds Max for most modifiers/objects - they remember their last settings from the current session.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado, Yeah that's how I've been doing it, problems arise when I want to add that same modifier to a couple more objects: because Max won't let you paste a modifier onto multiple objects.
                So you either have to a) manually paste an instance of the modifier onto each object, or b) select all the objects and appy the modifier again, which poses it's own problems (having to make sure you select all the right objects, etc)
                Last edited by Richard7666; 22-12-2014, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard7666 View Post
                  problems arise when I want to add that same modifier to a couple more objects: because Max won't let you paste a modifier onto multiple objects.
                  Hello
                  Just a thought: have you tried Modifier Zorb ? not sure, but I guess it could help you quite a lot for everything related to modifiers ... worth checking

Cheers.
                  Nicolas Caplat
                  www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Working...
                  X