Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IES functionality

Couple things I'd love to see with IES files:

1) I'd love it if I could drag the IES file from one light to another. (Or be able to hit "Copy" and then "Paste" into another light to replace the old file.)

2) I'd love it if I could drag the vrayies light into my material editor to save for later. Sometimes when I'm trying different HDRI's or textures I'll leave a copy in my material editor to come back to later, but this is much harder with IES. It doesn't help that most IES files are named nonsense and in a folder with 200 others so it can be tedious to go find them later. I find my current workflow is to just duplicate the light and hide it to access later, but this can get messy with multiple people working in a scene. I'm not sure if there are interpretation options for many IES files, but if there are having them accessible from there would be nice. For example, for a lot of IES files I've found that the power is incorrect by the manufacturer, likely because the engineers put the power as a separate entity from photometric web, so we get some strange things occasionally in the field. It would be pretty awesome of that light node in the material editor listed other entries of the IES file parse so we can 'override' the photometric web with another data entry, eventually finding the correct "power". It may even just be a huge list of numbers with "override power" next to each. I know this is probably a very hard task, just spitballing.

3) Can IES never affect reflections? Would be great if they could.

Long time fan...

For #2, V-Ray does, in fact, integrate the web profile to find the actual light power - which, as you noticed, in many cases is different than the "prescribed" power stored in the profile. We could simply expose an option for the "power" spinner to represent the real light power, and ignore the prescribed number completely.

The other things are a bit more difficult to do, I need to think about it a bit.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Actually something like this script:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...rayies-presets

But the script is a bit broken at times and it doesn't allow you to save your own presets. That and some additional functionalities would be a great tool.
      Last edited by Vizioen; 15-10-2014, 01:08 AM.
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Hello,

And what about making the light source visible ? AFAIR, it's possible when using MR, no ?
        Nicolas Caplat
        www.intangibles.fr

Comment

It is possible, but it must be done correctly to make sure there are no fireflies when the light shape is reflected in other objects. MR does not really do the right thing (f.e. the shape brightness has no relation whatsoever to the actual light intensity), it just shows "something"...

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado,

ok, thanks for the infos ! it was just an idea
            Nicolas Caplat
            www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Thanks for looking in Vlado! I appreciate you taking the time out. #2 is probably the one that people would love the most anyway, eliminating the doubt people have sometimes.

Comment

Working...
              X