Accurate image render time estimate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accurate image render time estimate

Would be great if there was an optional feature that does a very small render of your image, say 25x25 pixels or so, to establish a more accurate total render time for the full res image. At the moment, the real-time estimate is easily fooled by large areas of sky etc.
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

+1 for me. Usually, my current time equals my estimated time, throughout the entire process.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
      Would be great if there was an optional feature that does a very small render of your image, say 25x25 pixels or so, to establish a more accurate total render time for the full res image. At the moment, the real-time estimate is easily fooled by large areas of sky etc.
      I could probably build something like that into my script. But it would be nice if it was a standard future of V-Ray and you can just tick it on or off.

Something like preview size = 170 x 96
      Target resolution = 4000 x 2250

Then it does a "preview render" and afterwards it gives you an estimate based on your target resolution.

May become a bit tricky because a render so small could finish on your workstation before the slaves kick in, in which case the estimates for the final res will be too high
      Last edited by Morne; 20-10-2014, 03:39 PM.
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

I would imagine this to work more along the lines of doing a small preview render and using the relative differences in pixels (say you rendered a pixel per bucket for example) as bucket estimation multipliers during rendering.

Cheers,
        Thorsten

Comment

That might work for simple scenes but scenes with lots of proxies and displacement with static geometry ticked and stuff take a long time to start rendering sometimes. "COMPILING GEOMETRY" takes 10 minutes sometimes.
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
          X