vray ies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray ies...

what i would like to see is vray lights capable of using ies file thats available in the industry.
    Reza Bahari
    visual3d@streamyx.com
    013-3428162

Photometric lights with IES work just fine in Vray, why would you need Vray lights with IES?

Comment

i agree with reza. the problem is ies lights take longer to render than standard vray lights. plus ies lights hold true meaning in the architectural world while vray lights dont.

Mix the two - "she-bangs" - William Hung. I vote for Vray lights with photometric data files.

Arkitec

Comment

IES lights render slower than standard max lights also, its the nature of the IES data. I still don't understand why you would need IES on vray lights though.

Comment

do you notice that most of us gets away with good lighting when ever there is a window where everyone uses vray light to bring in the light. but when it comes to a room with 0 window or opening or you have to simulate night lighting...vray light just wont do...there is nothing much you can do with it. thats why it important to use vray/ies....not every image is in the day time....and most of the time our night scene arent as preety as the day...
          Reza Bahari
          visual3d@streamyx.com
          013-3428162

Comment

Any kind of standard lights in max or vray gives fake illumination and control over distance, where as ies are true lighting to manufactures detail....if you want a 26 watt bulb, you dont have to guess how much the multiplier have to be or how far the distance of light travel and the list goes on an on....you simply cannot simulate real world lighting just by using vray lights. why? cause if you think the room is to dark...you simply raise the multiplier or bounce limit...but when youre using ies...if a 26 watt isnt enough...you can change to 40 or 60 or even 100...
            ies simply takes out the guessing in our work ang gives quality illumination.
            Reza Bahari
            visual3d@streamyx.com
            013-3428162

Comment

reza I think this is far not correct. Even if the "values are right" I never ever seen anywhere anybody, any renderer which was able correctly generate the illumination... By Ies light or any other photometric.Or any light.This is at the moment more like marketing than truth. I mean if we want to look for the real thing, as you stated. ("true lighting to manufactures detail")

I think with some trick standard light can do almost the same as IES, Of course there are some with special falloff, I didnt mean that, but overall yes. VrayLight cant just because It doenst have falloff settings. But it doenst mean cant produce realistic looking images. There is no difference regarding this between lights.. just the setup.

I think to use these lights, ies light, whatever, 'CORRECTLY' these renderers need to be developed much much further. The whole system, materials, etc just doesnt do it.("correctly")
              However you can see that on this forum many people got the feel of it and produce very nice, realistic looking images, and I believe it is not because of Ies lights.. its just experience and nothing more.

but dont get me wrong I am not against IES or anything, but I just dont believe that somone would set up building lighting by rendering system results. So this is what I mean.(because the result will be not real anyway, might look realistic.)

Comment

yeah i agree with losbellos....

i think you have the wrong idea, you should use vray lights to create all your fill light and indirect light and use ies for prettying up the walls for a more realistic look to the light shape.

i find if you create a vray light 600mmx600mm with the intensity of 20 and spread them around in your scene evenly just below the ceiling line that is sufficient enough to give you a nice amount of light.
                Natty
                http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

If using ies files with vray lights would be more efficient than using max ies lights , than it would be arguement enough to include ies support.
                  Eric Boer
                  Dev

Comment

if youre an architect/designer/lighting consultant....how do you know how much light/bulbs/fixtures is needed to brighten up a particular space. what im saying is that using ies we have at least some idea how the outcome will be....and like all things, ies needs proper use to achieve proper results.
                    Reza Bahari
                    visual3d@streamyx.com
                    013-3428162

Comment

i think this is only true if you use a lighting packed that the manufactures use like AGI-Light and packages like that, i dont see how in max and vray you can accurately calculate light distribution unless you know how many bounces does a light bulb have and if it hits a shinny surface does it bounce further ?

i totaly understand where your coming from but i do think you are making it hard for yourself.
                      Natty
                      http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

dont worry, its well taken. after all this is a forum to discuss. thanks.
                        lightscape by autodesk does it very well.
                        Reza Bahari
                        visual3d@streamyx.com
                        013-3428162

Comment

All lights will bounce the same I belive that V-Ray acounts for a materials reflectance... Inside each Ies file there is a number that is it's "multiplier"
                          Eric Boer
                          Dev

Comment

ies are casutics done by the reflective metallic thing around the light use a vray light and use caustics if u want real stuff.....

Comment

thanks zuliban..ill give it a try..
                              Reza Bahari
                              visual3d@streamyx.com
                              013-3428162

Comment

Working...
                              X