better region rendering in vray frame buffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• better region rendering in vray frame buffer

I still wish for a slight expansion of the vrayfb region rendering capabilities like: http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...ring-in-vrayFB

Even if it was as simple as holding shift to add another rectangle to the one already drawn. That would be WONDERFUL!

(no i dont like or use the render mask thing, requires too much planning )
    www.peterguthrie.net
    www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
    www.pg-skies.net/

That's not a slight expansion, it's complete rewrite

It can go through the render mask internally, but still quite a bit of code shuffling is involved. We'll see where it goes...

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

DARN!

I'll keep my fingers crossed in hope!
      www.peterguthrie.net
      www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

it would be cool if there was a region brush, where you can just paint an area where to render. No need for rectangle or another shape.
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
          it would be cool if there was a region brush, where you can just paint an area where to render. No need for rectangle or another shape.
          Next thing it will be photoshop, because "it has painting already, right"

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            Next thing it will be photoshop, because "it has painting already, right"

Best regards,
            Vlado
            Vray to photoshop buffer!
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:

Comment

I understand the sentiment Vlado, but region rendering is one of those invaluable tools that can make a massive difference in daily use...

I thought about brush as well, but for region rendering I think rectangular shapes would suffice. (the brush tools in itoosoft forest work well mind you, so i wouldnt say no...)

My shift-to-add-region idea above wouldnt require changed to the UI at least, and as for the coding, its just all ones and zeros isnt it??
              www.peterguthrie.net
              www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

I think part of the problem is how vray approaches region rendering, its not the same as rendering entire frame, so doing mutliple regions is gonna be hard
                Dmitry Vinnik
                Silhouette Images Inc.
                ShowReel:

Comment

Originally posted by peterguthrie View Post
                  My shift-to-add-region idea above wouldnt require changed to the UI at least, and as for the coding, its just all ones and zeros isnt it??
                  Yes, that's definitely a bit easier... like I said, we'll see what can be done about it.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Great idea, Peter. Would love that too.
                    Just a thought about going about this: Instead of considering this as a complex shape/region, that would require a complete re-write, break it down to a series (a render queue, if you want) of rectangular regions. Render each one in turn, and comp the result. That is kind of what we do manually, right now.

Edit: And that's kind of what Peter already said... but yeah, hehe. ;D
                    Last edited by windowlicker; 27-11-2014, 05:50 AM.
                    www.whiteview.se

Comment

I would not second this one.
                      We have massive renders that takes 40-50Gb of ram to render and each time a render starts, it takes up to a minute or 2 just to load up the scene and maybe a minute after the render is done to get max back.
                      If I had 4 regions to do, I would waste 12 minutes of loading/unloading time in stead of 2-3.
                      IMO, all in one pass is definitely the way to go.

Stan
                      3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by 3LP View Post
                        I would not second this one.
                        We have massive renders that takes 40-50Gb of ram to render and each time a render starts, it takes up to a minute or 2 just to load up the scene and maybe a minute after the render is done to get max back.
                        If I had 4 regions to do, I would waste 12 minutes of loading/unloading time in stead of 2-3.
                        IMO, all in one pass is definitely the way to go.

Stan
                        Only a minute or two to load and one to get max back? How do you keep it so fast?
                        A.

---------------------
                        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

This sounds like something that 3ds Max itself should support... like an animated region render or something...

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

For my workflow, I have max's region render set to / on keyboard (it's called Edit Region Render under customize) and you can draw the rectangle, and better yet can drag it to another area or make it smaller. You can also drag the "area to render" to a crop if you need to have it smaller for saves. I like what vray has in the frame buffer, it works slightly faster than the max workflow but I am annoyed that it redraws every time you want to make another region. Perhaps another thing to consider is being able to resize the region window if you want to crop in a single edge.

Comment

Early little Xmas Present coming this week....

Maxscript made easy....
                              davewortley.wordpress.com
                              Follow me here:
                              facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Working...
                              X