Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDRI extra rotate feature

Hi all

Would be nice to have some kind of lock or switch on the vertical rotation, or perhaps a 3rd rotation option so that it locks to the view.
    Basically I want to rotate the horizon to move it up or down, while keeping it parallel to the view. So then when I move it down in the view, it will move up behind the camera. And if I move it up in camera view, it will move the horizon down behind the camera.

Currently it tilts the horizon in my view with the vertical rotation, but I just want it to move up or down, so that's why I want a lock or 3rd rotation option

Make sense?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

It doesn't make much sense for me - could you please give us some examples?
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Good idea.

For example when the sun is too low in the sky using a HDRI you can use vertical rotation to raise it up higher in the sky - but only if the sun is away from the axis of rotation. If the sun is on or near the axis that the HDRI rotates around then you effectively can't raise the height of the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar_draganov View Post
        It doesn't make much sense for me - could you please give us some examples?
        Here's an image:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	hdri_rotate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	854719

Basically I want to achieve in the render what I'm seeing in the material editor. I just want to raise or lower the horizon, NOT tilt it
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

This is not exactly rotation, but squeeze of the HDRI in the vertical direction. You should be able to achieve that using the 3ds Max spherical env. mapping mode and playing with the tiling/offset parameters. We could add a separate parameter for this, but first let me know if that's what you really need.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Another approach would be to plug the HDRI map into V-Ray Dome Light, then link the Dome to the Camera.
            When the Camera Roll parameter is changed the Dome will follow it and the horizon line will not change its angle.
            Vertical Rotation parameter could be used to move the horizon line up or down.

Here is a sample scene ==> http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/966_bg.zip
            If you scrub the timeline and render a few random frames you'll notice that the horizon angle never changes.
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
            X