Rendermask tweak -- allow it to respect invisible objects as "containers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rendermask tweak -- allow it to respect invisible objects as "containers"

I haven't tried the new service pack yet, but I saw that you added rendermask by Obj ID (which is great.).

I wanted to request a tweak to Rendermask which allows it to base the mask on an invisible object (either set to non-renderable or hidden).

I realize that sounds weird, but here's the logic: sometimes I make minor modifications to the way my main subject moves in an animation. I will create a large box around that object and then render out a black/white alpha pass of JUST that box. This allows me to use the black/white images as a rendermask texture to render the subject and the nearby surfaces (for shadows/reflections/etc.) without re-rendering the whole scene. (VraySphereFade doesn't do what i want for several reasons).

If we could use an invisible object as the mask I wouldn't need to render out the black/white sequence at all... nor would I have to set it up as a time-synchronized texture for the main mask render.

Maybe this would have to handled with a checkbox for Rendermask like "ignore invisibility" since some people might like the ability to hide their rendermask objects to control whether it renders or not.

(Note -- it just occurred to me, to try creating a 100% refractive object with Affect Shadows/Reflections/GI etc. all turned off and it seems to work. But i think the rendermask toggle would be more convenient).
Working...
X