X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayRT Realzoom feature showing final image resolution

Hi,

Request:
    Make VRayRT in RealZoom mode display the final image resolution if the current "RealZoomed" Region would be 100% true pixel size.

Reason:
    We often use VRayRT to tweak materials. That includes adjusting bumpmaps, especially size and strength to match not really reality, but a desired perceivable result in the rendered image at the end.
    Let's say we will be doing a 4k rendering. We will obviously set VRayRT not to 4k but maybe 1k to do the lighting. Then we use realzoom to zoom in on certain materials to tweak em.
    What would be awesome if somewhere on the right corner it would display "If you want the current RealZoom level to be 100%, the total image resolution what would need to be rendered would be 5729px x 3627px."
    Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    3ds Max 2016 SP4
    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
    64GB RAM

DxDiag

I see what you mean, why not.

But why don't you just start RT at 4k and use the crop render to refine only the bit you need?
    That we you will make sure :
    * you see who it's supposed to look like at the right resolution
    * don't render more that what you need and at the same time "wast" resources who would make you refresh rate even faster then the realzoom?

I do that all the time, at least when I'm rendering regions it might be 150by50 pixel or 500x200 depending on the crop, but I will have a much faster feedback then if I went realzoom with 1000px full canvas render.

Stan
    3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
      Make VRayRT in RealZoom mode display the final image resolution if the current "RealZoomed" Region would be 100% true pixel size.
      We can do that. Would it be ok to put in the stamp in the upper right?

We often use VRayRT to tweak materials.
      So does that mean that it's gotten to a point where it's usable now? I'll get this etched on a bronze plaque and put it my desk

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        We can do that. Would it be ok to put in the stamp in the upper right?
        I guess that would be fine. ANd please make it an extra checkbox and not linked to the statistics display. I often switch off statistics for les clutter but I still want to see the final resolution.

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        So does that mean that it's gotten to a point where it's usable now? I'll get this etched on a bronze plaque and put it my desk
        I don't wanna destroy and feelings now but we did that yesterday and then rendered at a higher res with the adaptive sampler and noticed we were very off with strength parameters of bumpmaps for example. But the resoltuion might play in here .
        Anyways it was not a hyperrealistic project, rather smaller one with simple shaders (noise maps mostly, simple ones, maximum we got were 3-layered composite maps ^^).

So it's not really useful for complex shader tweaking yet but we use it for lighting all the time and in these simple-shader-cases But I'm sure you guys will get there. Last year we didnt use RT at all because of too much issues, but we definitely noticed heavy improvements and we are happy about it!
        Software:
        3ds Max 2016 SP4
        V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
        64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
          noticed we were very off with strength parameters of bumpmaps for example. But the resoltuion might play in here .
          For bump and normal mapping the resolution does affect things - it affects texture filtering which could blur or sharpen textures depending on the resolution. Proper filtering of bump/normal maps is not a solved problem yet - there were a few papers recently dealing with this issue and we have done some research for the car paint material, but it seems like a general solution is not available yet (well other than turning off all filtering, which leads to its own problems).

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for the info
            Software:
            3ds Max 2016 SP4
            V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
            64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment