Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alpha channel on Vray Light Plane and tube ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha channel on Vray Light Plane and tube ?

Hi guys,

Maybe it is already possible but I didn't find a way to achieve it, but would great to map an alpha channel on the Vray lights plane and tube for example.
    Sometimes it is alright not playing with opacity but many time it is an issue in rendering and we have to switch to VrayLightMtl, which is great but absolutely not behaving like a real light for many effects.

Thank you,

Tanguy

The V-ray light Mtl was implemented for such situations. Would you please give me a scene file to see the issue better ? Maybe I will be able to help with this setup.
    You can also convert any geometry or surface into a light source with V-Ray mesh light and get the requested result.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I ´d also like to see this option. The Vray light Material is somewhat limited. (Vray 2.5) No include, exclude and no affect diffuse, specular and reflection switches.
      Here a specific case where I also am in need of an alpha mask for Vraylights. A product vis. Usually I split the lights for diffuse and specular/reflection
      to have more control. I often place reflection lights per object using include/exlude. I´m using a global reflection environment and as said vraylights to bring highlights
      to specific objects only. When using maps on these vraylights, like a gradient to soften them, you´ll get ugly edges because the Vraylights are blocking the environment.
      Using a Light Material is not an option because neither include/exclude nor reflection only is available. See both attached images. One to show the problem, the other one
      an actual example (the red arrow shows the gradient I´m doing with a reflection only light, using a gradient for intensity, including only this specific object).
      For the moment I get around this problem by adjusting the dark colors of the gradient until they match the environment. But that can be pretty time consuming.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s_vraylight1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	855588Click image for larger version

Name:	s_vraylight2.jpg
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	855587

Comment

I think that this is already possible, a texture with alpha channel can give you the requested result. The same could be achieved by using the 3ds max Composite map by placing a black & white texture (gradient in this case) to the opacity slot.
        I'm attaching an image to show the render result:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-17 14_53_58}.jpg
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	855605
        Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Tashko's workflow is correct, I have been doing this for years. Another option is to simply check the Alpha from RGB intensity checkbox, if it is something simple like a gradient on the light...
          https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post
            I think that this is already possible, a texture with alpha channel can give you the requested result. The same could be achieved by using the 3ds max Composite map by placing a black & white texture (gradient in this case) to the opacity slot.
            I'm attaching an image to show the render result:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]23342[/ATTACH]
            The solution with a composite map works great. Thank You !

Comment

Working...
            X