Map Type of VRayNormalMap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Type of VRayNormalMap

tangent space, world space, and blabla cannot be selected by VRayNormalMap and VRayBumpMtl.

Only tangent space?

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
    oakcorp.net
    v-ray.jp

It's only tangent space, yes. Do you need the others?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Slightly OT... Is there any speed or quality advantage to using the VrayNormalMap vs the standard 3ds max NormalMap (which does have the other coordinate options BTW)? I've always used the 3ds max one as it has the additional Bump slot. Also, since this is a wishlist thread, is it possible to add a gamma spinner to the VrayNormalMap? Since I've got my gamma settings bitmap input set to 2.2, it always screws up the normal map requiring me to put an additional colorcorrect to knock it down to .4545.
      www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
        Slightly OT... Is there any speed or quality advantage to using the VrayNormalMap vs the standard 3ds max NormalMap (which does have the other coordinate options BTW)?
        The only advantage is that it works for proxies (and other geometry which is not based on 3ds Max meshes, like ForestPro, Multiscatter etc).

I've always used the 3ds max one as it has the additional Bump slot.
        It would be easy to add a bump slot to the V-Ray one too, if this is the only concern.

Also, since this is a wishlist thread, is it possible to add a gamma spinner to the VrayNormalMap? Since I've got my gamma settings bitmap input set to 2.2, it always screws up the normal map requiring me to put an additional colorcorrect to knock it down to .4545.
        This one I'm not sure. Anything with "gamma" in it seems to cause a lot of confusion.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I typically am using the additional bump slot to add a vrayedges texture to get rounded corners in addition to the normal map but am typically not using it on proxies so I'm not sure it's usueful to me (I can continue using the 3ds NormalMap). Totally understand about the gamma thing
          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

About the gamma, I also think you should keep it away from this node, or alternatively create a "advanced" vray rollout below that is closed by default where such "risky" parameters can go.
            But the additional bump slot would be welcome.
            Anyway, these maps can have their gamma set in the loading dialogue. If only there was a way to tag a normal map and such in its header, so max default loads it as gamma 1, and displays it linearly.
            Signing out,
            Christian

Comment

Working...
            X