Seperating specular and reflection color tint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seperating specular and reflection color tint

Is it easy to implement? I just had a case where I felt it will be useful for faking in certain situations.
    Basically have one specular color and one reflection color, seperated.
    Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    3ds Max 2016 SP4
    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
    64GB RAM

DxDiag

Here's a question for the chaos folks too.

A vray light with a simple colour will render faster than a light with a texture no doubt, since there's less sampling / changes to take into account. If you've got a texture in the light, the reflection portion of any material that sees the light will use reflection rays to accurately get the right colours and brightness. How does the spec portion of the render calculate this though? Is it taking an average of the texture pixel values on the surface of the light that it's specular rays "see" and boiling that down to a simple colour average? If so would it make sense for speed and cleanliness of the render to have a separate texture slot for diffuse light, reflection light and spec light? Or does the spec get derived from previously calculated reflection and diffuse values?

If there's a speed hit involved in calculating spec values from a textured light it'd almost be something like using simple rgb values for your diffuse and spec emission on the light, then a texture for the reflection emission which would be seen by your scene materials.

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
      Is it easy to implement? I just had a case where I felt it will be useful for faking in certain situations.
      Basically have one specular color and one reflection color, seperated.
      Isn't it possible to do that via BlendMtl with two separate shaders for Specular and Reflection?
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Is your question about the lights or materials? If it is materials, it should be possible to do it with a blend material, like Svetlozar suggested.

I just had a case where I felt it will be useful for faking in certain situations
        What case was that? I'm curious since I'm trying to figure out how often such cases would come up.

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
        Is it taking an average of the texture pixel values on the surface of the light that it's specular rays "see" and boiling that down to a simple colour average?
        No. The specular is quite correct even for a textured light - which you can see if you turn off the MIS option for the light; in that case, the light will not affect reflections and its entire appearance will be calculated with direct rays. It will be noisier, of course, but will still converge to the correct result. If you are interested in the technical details, read the paper on multiple importance sampling.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation - just thinking on the control / speed optimization side!

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            Is your question about the lights or materials? If it is materials, it should be possible to do it with a blend material, like Svetlozar suggested.

What case was that? I'm curious since I'm trying to figure out how often such cases would come up.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            Hi,

My question is about materials.
            How would I go about that with a blend material?

Our usecase:
            An object (a cooking pot) has brushed steel material, the lid is like rotation brushed as in reality, the pot itself normal.
            We have a warm scene, much wood, and kind of coldish/not so warm lights above the pot.
            The sides of the pot look warm since the reflections of the wood tint the material. The lid is coldish because of the light the material gets from many directions above it (anisotropy).
            I would tint the reflection yellowish/brown within the material but leave specular untinted so it gets the right light from the lamps but the reflections are tinted.
            Software:
            Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
            3ds Max 2016 SP4
            V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
            Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
            64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Here is how could be done:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	ZOx86zO.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	855952

1.Unlock HGlossiness parameter for the Reflection Shader and set its value to 1 - this tweak will remove the Specular from the shader.

Name:	QwhDgrg.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	855953
              2.Disable Trace Reflection option from the Specular Shader - this will remove the Reflection from the shader.

Name:	coDKxfw.jpg
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	855954

Scene: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...specular02.max
              Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
              Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
              X