Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Checkbox for making apertures and shutter speeds to mimic traditional camera f-stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checkbox for making apertures and shutter speeds to mimic traditional camera f-stops

Dear Vlado,

VRay does a fantastic job of mimicking real world phenomena, but as a v-ray trainer, I have experienced some people having real difficulties with the camera settings (usually because they aren't aware of traditional photography settings and values).

Currently, VRayPhysicalCamera has a stepless (i.e. infinite and therefore unreal) ability with regards to Aperture and Shutterspeed choices - but in my experience, to assist users, I feel it would be best that these aren't stepless but mimic the real world as well.

Therefore, my wishlist for V-Ray is that the PhysicalCamera has a checkbox within its options called something like "Traditional Camera Settings". Then, beside this checkbox to be a dropdown menu with options, "Full", "1/2", "1/3". THEN, when this checkbox is selected and, for example, the choice in the dropdown is 'Full', the SPINNER for Shutter speed will not be stepless but instead go from say 125 to either 60 or 250 (just like in a traditional film camera). Equally, for Aperture, with this option selected, the SPINNER control will not be stepless as well, but change from, for example, 4 to either 5.6 or 2.8 (i.e. one FULL f-stop up or down).

This 'Traditional Camera Settings' checkbox could also be the controller for those common ISO settings, e.g. 25, 50, 100, 200, 400, 800.

I think by having this within the PhysicalCam, it will help a LOT of v-ray users, preventing them from setting crazy shutter speeds which simply aren't typically chosen in the real world.
    Last edited by JezUK; 23-04-2015, 05:32 AM.
    Jez

------------------------------------
    3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
    Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
    ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------
Working...
X