Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vray 2d displacement mode to support multi tile UV ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 2d displacement mode to support multi tile UV ?

Hi,

Is it possible to do that ?? Would be very handy! since 2d mode is soooo much better for character rendering then 3d.. it's much more precise and consistent and faster.

I mean by consistent, is the fact that even if I render lets say a face in big and then in small ( the character is more far away in an other shot let's say) the reflection stay the same because de amount of details with the 2d mode stay's the same while in 3d mode it gets less details the more small you have your character in the render wich in turn affect the hi frequency details wich in turn affect the reflection look of it a LOT.. in a small render lets say we take the face as exemple, the face will look a lot more wet then it's supposed to be because there is less hi frequency details renderer by the 3d displacement mode.. can we get a fix for that ? maybe an auto bump a la Arnold ?

Well, we did for V-Ray for Maya and it works there... I suppose it might be possible to do it in 3ds Max too - will make a note to look into it.

V-Ray does auto-bump for displacement, same as in Arnold; it will not help you though. What will help you: a) make sure you use view-independent 3D displacement and b) use VRayHDRI with filtering disabled for the textures. This will make the displacement look the same regardless of the distance to the camera.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I've used 2D displacement on characters with UDIMs and it worked just fine for me. Definitely the way to go for fine detail!
      Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
      Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
      V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment

thank's Vlado fo rthe answer!

Do you think you can get it done like quite fast? I'm on a contract now and it would be very handy!
        Also, how can I disable the filtering on the vrayHDRI, I have the choice between too type of filtering but I don't have a choice like, NONE .

Thank you!

Comment

Also Vlado, is there a way to see all the maps applied at the same time? Because right now I'm only seeing one at the time, really annoying.

thank's

RockinAkin : How do you make it work since it's not supported in max with the 2d mode?
          Last edited by Bigguns; 30-04-2015, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I don't have access to the file right now, but what I did was use a composite map to bring together multiple VRayHDRI loaders with X/Y tiling disabled and manually entered X/Y offsets to correspond with the UDIMs I was generating from Mari. Does that make sense?

Edit: Forgot to mention - In the VRayDisplacementMod I was using the 'Use Mtl' checkbox. The composite map with all the VRayHDRI loaders was plugging into the materials displacement slot of a character.
            Last edited by RockinAkin; 30-04-2015, 02:10 PM.
            Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
            Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
            V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment

What do you mean there? :with X/Y tiling disabled and manually entered X/Y offsets to correspond with the UDIMs

Are you using Maya? Me I'm using max.

What I did is : use a composite and slap in there my 4 textures and moving them accordingly in the U direction in my case. It work well for the 3d displacement ( except that zbrush make my displacement map fucked at.. there is huge seam at area where the different UV tile displacement maps meets.. like if they were generated with a different intensity or something like that.. any idea on that in Zbrush??I used the multi displacement exporter from Zbrush.. I had to go in mudbox and remove those semas.. not ideal!! )
              Last edited by Bigguns; 30-04-2015, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Vlado, is it implemented now ?

Comment

Working...
                X