Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

calculate and store irradiance maps using net render.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calculate and store irradiance maps using net render.

calculate and store irradiance maps using net render.

i only have 2 seats of vray, and often i need 8 different irradiance maps that take 10 hours each to calculate. it would be nice to render them on 10 different comuters, and have each computer save its file when done.

Just use the save to file checkbox in the advanced irradiance map... have them save to a shared network location by using the \UNC\path\file.

if you meant multiple computers rendering a SINGLE irradiance map, thats not currently do-able..
    Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

dbuchhofer is right

right now distributed singleframe i-map calculation doesnt work.

but it might change with 1.5 if i am not wrong,and also with the new lightmap.

this way i-map calculation will soon get a boost

Comment

it sounds like the save to file will work, for some reason i didn't think it would. i am going o try and run my maps tonight, so i will see.

i didn't expect distributed render to work, and i don't really know if it will ever work with irradiance maps because of the way they are calculated.

thaks for the help.

Comment

actually, i should have thought about it before i posted.

my render farm has several nodes on it. i want to render an several irradiance maps for different cameras in an animation. each camera path consists of about 1000 frames.

if i understand right, i need the irradiance map for an animation to be calculated on one computer, because of the way it builds upon itself. i am using incrimental add.

so i want to use net render to calculate this irradiance map. i need to be able to send all of the frame 0-1000 by 20 to one computer so that they are calculated in a continous series. then i need that computer to autosave the irradiance map to the netwrok.

the problem, if i send this using standard net render, it would calculate over several computers instead of just one. ...and the incrimental add would be all screwed up.

....does this make sense, or am i missing something?

all in all, i want to send the calculations for irradiance maps for 8 different animated cameras to my render farm, and have each of them render correctly. i don't think i can do this can i? i don't want several computers to calculate one map, i just want one computer to calculate one map for an animation, and the next computer to calculate one map for an animation, and so on.

Comment

hm crazy homeless guy.

your idea is good.

when you send your renders through the backburner, you´ve got the option , not to use all servers, but only one server to do the imap precalculation for one specific flightthrough.

this way you can use several computers for several flightthrougs.

hmm if you look at your animaiton pathtes, you also could use the result of one specific prerendered flightthroug for areas that you can see the same,

the new areas of your animation will be added incremental, so this way you maybe also can come to smaler rendertimes.

Tom

god luck

Comment

i also wanted to point out what people might forget is that the imap viewer has the ability to combine seperate irradiance maps

---------------------------------------------------
              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Originally posted by tom schuelke
                when you send your renders through the backburner, you´ve got the option , not to use all servers, but only one server to do the imap precalculation for one specific flightthrough.

this way you can use several computers for several flightthrougs.
                thanks for the response. i tried this last night, but for some reason it didn't seem to save the irradiance map using autosave. i was dissapointed. maybe i will try it again.. have you, or anyone else had luck doing this?

Comment

hi crazy homeles guy

hmm, yes with us i think this worked. maybe take care, you use unc path names.

//server/unbeleavable/fantastic/imap/precalculation

something like this ...

tom

Comment

whoo hoo! actually this did work, i accidentally set the path to the wrong place. i just found them when i was cleaning some directories.

thanks all for your help, and here is looking forward to 1.5!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X