skin shader a la Alsurface pleaseeee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigguns View Post
    I think in Katana it's named : Front scatter, mid scatter and Deepscatter. Have the third layer blue of the sss , made me think.. hmm ok, are they in the right order lol. I don't know too much that shader, since I don't use it so I was like ha ok.. but let me check again when the guy are back from diner ^^ .
    In the shader code, the three layers are completely interchangeable so it doesn't really matter what you use for what.

Backlight can be used for back of the ear
    SSS alone is not good enough for that? I agree about the rest though.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Ho, so if they are interchangeable, then let it like that, it means it don't matter the order so ^^

EDIT : SSS alone seem to be good on his own for realistic back scattering of the ear, but for something else, it's good to have that control like a cartoon character etc.
      Last edited by Bigguns; 20-07-2016, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• A question for you Vlado , is the bump affecting also the sss or just the reflection? Because, it would be GREAT to have 2 slut bump, one for each reflection! that would make it better then the Alsurface for Arnold ^^. I often have 2 different bump in there .. or with different values ^^

Comment

A question for you Vlado , is the bump affecting also the sss or just the reflection?
          For the moment, it affects everything. But it is not a problem to add a separate bump for the reflections, just need to figure out a logical way for which bump map affects what - would the two bumps be applied one on top of the other, or if you specify a reflection bump, it would override the main one? Or should that be an option?

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

• ok then having the mains sss wich would be the sss bump ? and then one layer of bump for each layer of reflection. I'm not sure to get what you mean for those bump layer override and stuf though so lets say, in reflection 1 , I put a checker, and in reflection layer 2 I put a noise, then both will show, is that clearer ?

Comment

• I just want to say Congratulation! i think this could not come at a better time, unfortunately ill have to wait some time to get to see it in V-nuke but im rely happy that this is happening.

Im rely looking forward to seeing other MTL being enhanced in same way to improve the artist work flow and speeding up Ldev.

I would love to see Disney Principled Shader in V-Ray as well. would be nice to hear what othere think of this/

thanks you for the hard work.
              Last edited by vfxronin; 20-07-2016, 01:37 PM. Reason: spell cheak

Comment

• I second you ^^ Powerfull shaders is amazing... just with the alsurface now, I feel like I have a new renderer!! quality is to the roof! Vlado, I think you need to implement all the best shaders out there after alsurface and alhair, it's crazy how it improve image output and the pleasure to work in Vray, feel's like a new renderer to me now I have so much control with this sss, it's a pleasure to work with :P Also, we need 2d displacement to work with UDIM ASAP please.. lagging in max for years.. you should put someone else on it and have it all ready for the next upgrad of vray, would be amazing for all the customers out there BTW, to everyone that use vray and show them that we are getting alsurface, they are all super happy and exited, most say's they just can't believe we are getting it finally! BTW, is the bump having a problem ? I have UDIM in the bumps.. and it's weird what it's doing..I will let it render longer to be sure and I'll let you know ^^
                Last edited by Bigguns; 20-07-2016, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• I put a checker in the bump and the bump is fucked up. you should have a look and if I put the blur to ,o1 , the bump desapeared

Comment

I put a checker in the bump and the bump is fucked up. you should have a look and if I put the blur to ,o1 , the bump desapeared
                    Can you post a scene, just in case? Even if it's a sphere on a plane. I tested bump mapping briefly and it seemed ok on a quick test. Be sure to test with some real textures; the checker is a special kind of map, it's normal that if you put the blur to 0.01, it will be gone.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

• yes it work with a map, but when the sss is actuvated.. it almost disapears.. weird, I'll do more test ^^
                      Last edited by Bigguns; 20-07-2016, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Vlado, I think you need to implement all the best shaders out there after alsurface and alhair, it's crazy how it improve image output and the pleasure to work in Vray,
                        I can hear Balgo Screaming my name! (internal joke)

Just to explain my justification for the request.

Im not knocking the V-ray MTL at all. its ture as lele say any thing arnold, Render man, Clariss..... can do we can do and even better and faster.

What im trying to highlight is the artist time that take to create a look and the scale of the shader tree of it.

To create a MTL with 3 spec lobs with mean for the users would have to copy the same MTL and connect to a v-ray mtl blend and link them with expression and jump between the MTL to modify them to test.

the same is true for Paper, iridescence, and complex fresnel where users have to disable fresnel and create a Fall off map to create this fresnel or to change the color at the grazing angle.

the purpose is to reduce Ldev Artist time and MainTrance of this MTLs. this would also make it easer to male presets of this mtl.

As for the Disney Principled Shader, This is becoming a new standard that artis from uni and work to have this as default and its ideal to using this to as a way to guaranty results between the application. e.g. MARI to v-ray or quxial to v-ray.... and a testing ground for bench marking and transfering data

Comment

• Yes exactly and I think Vray his weakest point is his shader ( I feel like it's neglected for a while.. all the rest got updates but not this..or rarely ^^ ). While I like a lot the fact that you can blend all vray mtl togheter and play with it, we had some old dated shader to play with.. old sss2.. etc.. Now with GGX, Alsurface, Alhairs ( Vray hairs aren't bad, but I found Alhairs better so, seeking for the best ^^ ) and I hope disney shaders, it will bring a new and much more efficient workflow in Vray and give much better image quality output plus it will make Vray a interporability ( don't know how to write that word... lol ) But that Alsurface was the most important and overdu one to implement

EDIT : Hey Vlado, at this point why not adding a thrid reflection layer, it won't hurt haha
                          Last edited by Bigguns; 20-07-2016, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• here's an other test sss2 vs alsurface EDIT : BTW, here the alsurface is using only one sss layer

Click image for larger version

Name:	SSS2_vray_013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	862736Click image for larger version

Name:	Alsruface_vray_014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	862737
                            Last edited by Bigguns; 20-07-2016, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• Vlado on post #141 the image you posted (both in Arnold and Vray) has a dark edge. I believe this is from energy conservation where the spec/reflection component is subtracted from the SSS/diffuse. Would it be possible to make a toggle for this so it can be turned off? In Arnold this is called "Fresnel Affect SSS," I'm not sure if there is a similar option in the AlSurface shader, but it would be a useful option I think (perhaps not physically correct, but artistically useful). There's a discussion of it here: https://support.solidangle.com/display/NodeRef/skin where they say it will be "fixed in a future release" so maybe there's a better way to address this you know of since the "Fresnel Affect SSS" toggle appears to be a workaround/cheat.

Comment

• Vlado,
                                Any chance we can get this shader for Maya too? I'm jealous
                                Pretty Pleeeeeeeeeeeease?

Comment

Working...
                                X