Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
    https://github.com/vidarn/ThunderLoom

Would you like to see this bundled with V-Ray? It's a cloth shader developed for IKEA, with a V-Ray implementation. The only caveat is that I have no clear idea how the loom files are produced.

Best regards,
    Vlado

Vlado any update on getting this for Vray for Maya? Pretty please?

Comment

• Valdo, any news on the Alhair? very curious to try it out and the vray 2d displacmeent with UDIM support

Comment

• I did port the alHair, it seems to work more or less ok (gives the same results as in Arnold). However I gave it to some users/studios to try and they didn't like it compared to the V-Ray shader, plus it was quite a bit slower than VRayHair.

Based on this initial feedback, I am not convinced that including alHair officially is a good idea. We are currently writing a more advanced hair shader based on this paper:
        https://benedikt-bitterli.me/pchfm/pchfm.pdf

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Wow! that Disney paper's shader looks amazing!!! Can't wait to try it! And by the way Bigguns if you really want to try the Alhair with v-ray I think it is already in V-ray for Blender and for Houdini if it can be of any help...
          Last edited by jstrob; 26-03-2017, 01:44 PM.

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
          Little Antman
          See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
          Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

I did port the alHair, it seems to work more or less ok (gives the same results as in Arnold). However I gave it to some users/studios to try and they didn't like it compared to the V-Ray shader, plus it was quite a bit slower than VRayHair.

Based on this initial feedback, I am not convinced that including alHair officially is a good idea. We are currently writing a more advanced hair shader based on this paper:

Best regards,
            Vlado
            Fantastic news Vlado! Any idea when it will be finished? or at least that we can try it ?

Comment

I did port the alHair, it seems to work more or less ok (gives the same results as in Arnold). However I gave it to some users/studios to try and they didn't like it compared to the V-Ray shader, plus it was quite a bit slower than VRayHair.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Yay! Great news to start the week. Thank you Vlado.
              always curious...

Comment

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Vlado, I readed in that paper that it says it will have 6 options for controlling the hairs ( 6 parameters ) but nothing about TRT color, wideness,position etc, can you add control over these would be really usefull please

Comment

• In Arnold 5 there will be a new hair shader too. I wonder if ti will based on the same paper?
                  https://twitter.com/arnoldrenderer/s...-approche.html

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
                  Little Antman
                  See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
                  Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    From that paper?! That's amazing! And how/what does it improve upon current VrayHairMtl?

-Eugenio

Comment

• Hi Vlado,

I found a bug I think with the alsurface, if I put lets say a sphere with a refractive Mtl in front of an object with alsurface, it gets dark on the alsurface, while it's perfect with sss2.. it's like the saliva on the teeths I made a while ago, I converted them and I noticed it .. any idea ?

Also, do you know when the new hair shader can be ready ? I'm reallllly looking forward to it!

thank's

Comment

• Here's a image to show you, left is with Alsurface ( look's soooo much better, but its also so much slower .. very very slow actually.. weird.. ) and the right was with SSS2 mtl. You can see on the lower teeths ( since I made the bubbles saliva at the top not renderable ) that it's getting dark where the little bubbles are... it only does that with Alsurface.. can you have a look Vlado ?Click image for larger version

Name:	dents du bas 0370.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	486.2 KB
ID:	867383

and a just the top teeth with alsurface not noisy, quality is soooo much better then sss2..Click image for larger version

Name:	dents du bas 0369.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	867384

Comment

• Can you get me a scene for this?

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

https://github.com/vidarn/ThunderLoom

Would you like to see this bundled with V-Ray? It's a cloth shader developed for IKEA, with a V-Ray implementation. The only caveat is that I have no clear idea how the loom files are produced.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            Vlado,
                            Do you know how the Thunderloom material is made (i.e. the philosophy behind how the material is put together)? For example, the VrayHair3 material uses TT (secondary spec) and TRT (transmission) along with diffuse and spec (primary spec) to shade tubes. Often fabric shading takes a similar approach of using these (diffuse + spec + TRT + TT) but puts this on the yarn of the weave. Thunderloom uses WIF files to determine the weave. Does it then use this diffuse + spec + TRT + TT combo to shade them? From what I can see it only has diffuse (lighting) and spec render elements, and I don't see TRT (secondary spec) or TT (which I believe would produce the sheen at glancing angles). Is it just using diffuse+spec (Kd + Ks)?
                            Last edited by sharktacos; 21-05-2017, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• It is a simple BRDF.
                              Rendering fabric as you suggest is the norm is computationally very expensive (how many hair make up the fuzz part of a wollen jumper, which then would create the backlighting sheen?) and also quite inaccurate (research on principled hair shading is still rife. not a solved problem, by any stretch of the imagination.), i'd love to see a case study of such an approach, with real rendering costs.

Have you tried scans at all?
                              VRScans manage to capture specifically those hard-to get effects which require, in essence, a volumic representation of the space ABOVE the surface (albeit, for coefficients, flattened on the BTF representation. which can then be displaced.), and as of today the clothing pattern can be wholly retextured for color (without resorting to blending), allowing for the high-quality response to light, and for arbitrary customisation of the look.

While i cannot show the results of the newest fabric/wood-scanning technology, just yet (working on it!), it shows just what i speak of, above, in such engrossing detail that's really difficult not to gape at them.
                              Last edited by ^Lele^; 22-05-2017, 01:01 AM.
                              Lele
                              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                              ----------------------
                              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

• Can we get an effectsID option for AIsurface please?
                                Last edited by Ihno; 30-11-2017, 06:06 AM.
                                German guy, sorry for my English.

Comment

Working...
                                X