Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stepped Bending of Camera Rays for Earth Curvature and Surrealism - Concept attached.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stepped Bending of Camera Rays for Earth Curvature and Surrealism - Concept attached.

I was wondering if this would be a possible thing to implement and improve on my hack below. Add an ability to do this with the raycaster and other options such as curve around a world position (like distance to earth center).

I have found a hack way to achieve this effect using Refraction - Stepped geometry with altered local Z normals and an IOR of less than 1 through backfaces to curve the ray.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rayCurve_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	884079Click image for larger version

Name:	rayCurve_002.jpg
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	884080Click image for larger version

Name:	rayCurve_Cylinder_001.jpg
Size:	493.6 KB
ID:	884081Click image for larger version

Name:	rayCurve_Cylinder_002.jpg
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	884082

To recreate it:
    Create a sphere constrained to the camera position, make multiple copies of the sphere(these will be the rays segments) and increase the radius incrementally by a step size to your max distance of the effect.

Group all the spheres and apply a VrayMtl completely refractive with an IOR of 0.75. Affect channels to All Channels.

Set the Groups Vray Properties to not generate, receive, or be visible GI, not cast or receive shadows.

Add an Edit Normals to the group and select all the normals and move upward on the local Z axis.

It would be much easier if there was a way to shift the normal direction of a Camera ray at certain increments, not sure if this is possible.

I've attached a scene file (max 2016) showing a sphere version and cylinder version. To curve donwards Turn off the NormalsRayDown modifier off in the RayRefractor <Shape> Object

Cheers,
    Mark Whelan,

Constructive Media.
    www.constructivemedia.com.au
    Attached Files

The Phoenix FD heat haze mode works this way; it's generally possible to emulate what you've done with a custom atmospheric effect.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
    X