Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renderman caustics implementation?

Hi guys,

woudl something like this be possibly done for vray caustics?

http://rendermansite.pixar.com/view/f-caustics

Cheers

M
    Martin
    http://www.pixelbox.cz

Yep, more or less. In addition to photon-mapped caustics, V-Ray also includes a VCM engine (the VRayBPTracer helper), but I haven't checked how it works in ages, it's entirely possible that it's broken in the latest releases... it never got much traction.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Last edited by vlado; 29-06-2016, 01:06 AM.
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Neat! Do you have a rough ETA for that? This year? Or stay with photon-mapped caustics?

We're doing product shots and having to fiddle with the caustics is a bit of a hassle. Maybe I should get more used to it. But just having them happen (with an on/off switch of course) would be the best for us.
      Software:
      Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
        Neat! Do you have a rough ETA for that?
        For what, specifically? The VRayBPTracer plugin? It's been there for ages, I just don't know if it works in the latest builds.

We're doing product shots and having to fiddle with the caustics is a bit of a hassle. Maybe I should get more used to it. But just having them happen (with an on/off switch of course) would be the best for us.
        Probably best to stick with photon-mapped caustics for now. If you have any difficulties setting them up, let me know and I'll help you.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          For what, specifically? The VRayBPTracer plugin? It's been there for ages, I just don't know if it works in the latest builds.

Probably best to stick with photon-mapped caustics for now. If you have any difficulties setting them up, let me know and I'll help you.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Thanks for the offer, Vlado, appreciate it, but I think it's documented well enough (have read some already plus the tuorials on that), I am just not really used to it since it since it was a bit intimidating for me. I just thought I'd cheer in when it's about making stuff easier to use.

As for the BPTracer, I never really noticed it, I'll have a look at it.
          Software:
          Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
          3ds Max 2016 SP4
          V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
          Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
          NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
          64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Working...
          X