Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ExtraMtl & ExtraEnvironment Render Element

Hi,

is it possible to add something like ExtraTex but with a material, like an ExtraMtl renderelement?
    I often render out various variations of a material that are then photoshopped together, but it would save me a lot of work and time if there would be something like the material override in the settings. If I could then exclude objects from that override it would be perfect. I can live with additional render times btw.
    Same thing goes for a render element, in which one could set an override for the environment, so we could have additional HDR lighting setups in one render.

Greetings,

Manuel
    Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
    www.AddYourLight.com
    Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Sorry to bump, but I was just wondering if I requested something that is technically not possible?
    Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
    www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

+1 for the ExtraMtl element.

Regarding ExtraEnvironment, how would that work? Wouldn't a different light setup change the whole look of the scene? All other render elements would be affected by this, so once you use ExtraEnvironment, all other render elements need a different version as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Laserschwert View Post
        +1 for the ExtraMtl element.

Regarding ExtraEnvironment, how would that work? Wouldn't a different light setup change the whole look of the scene? All other render elements would be affected by this, so once you use ExtraEnvironment, all other render elements need a different version as well.
        true, I didnt think about that. I guess it would also make the rendering process at least twice as slow since everything has to be computed again.
        But ExtraMaterial should be doable, right?
        www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Sounds like you could use Motiva Colimo!
          Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
            Sounds like you could use Motiva Colimo!
            Thats amazing!
            How does that work? Looks like magic to me.
            Going to try it out now!

Do you know of any reasons not to use this? Quality problems?
            www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Never used it myself, I don't do enough stuff that requires multiple materials to warrant it. Looks great though, eh?
              Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
                Never used it myself, I don't do enough stuff that requires multiple materials to warrant it. Looks great though, eh?
                trying it out right now. havent really gotten to the point where I can edit in their software, but what it basically does is rendering out a lot of different passes and separate renders for all the materials. With that information one can edit anything afterwards.
                Unfortunately it is not like rendering all the different materials at the same time...it would probably just save some time as batch automation software.

Edit: You cant change the material itself, you can only change textures and colors. So its no use for me...
                But thanks for the suggestion!
                Last edited by MANUEL_MOUSIOL; 30-03-2017, 06:10 AM.
                www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

The problem with an extra materiel is that it would affect anything secondary. So GI, reflection, refraction etc. all of these would need to be re calculated.
                  Gavin Jeoffreys
                  Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
                    The problem with an extra materiel is that it would affect anything secondary. So GI, reflection, refraction etc. all of these would need to be re calculated.
                    mmmh, I see. Didnt think so far.... So I guess that it is NOT technically possible, or at least not without a LOT more computing power.
                    www.AddYourLight.com

Comment

Originally posted by MANUEL_MOUSIOL View Post

trying it out right now. havent really gotten to the point where I can edit in their software, but what it basically does is rendering out a lot of different passes and separate renders for all the materials. With that information one can edit anything afterwards.
                      Unfortunately it is not like rendering all the different materials at the same time...it would probably just save some time as batch automation software.

Edit: You cant change the material itself, you can only change textures and colors. So its no use for me...
                      But thanks for the suggestion!
                      I try hard to get this into my workflow for archviz presentation but first there was no support, second the soft was really buggy, third the dev have been stop for years (1 new version in 10 years).

Comment

It pays to build/adopt tools and workflows to enable easier multiple passes' rendering, which is how the stuff is done by the big guys, rather than hope for a magic bullet.
                        When it looks too good to be true (see above) it generally is.

This said, now the multiple environments can be catered for with the LightMix, if the Beauty won't be able to be used straight up (as it'll contain multiple illumination scenarios at once).
                        Multiple materials will still need multiple passes.
                        Lele
                        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                        ----------------------
                        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                        X