No announcement yet.

New node: VRayColorRange - Select "Color Range" from map - for creating masks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New node: VRayColorRange - Select "Color Range" from map - for creating masks

Would love to have a functionality equivalent to Photoshop's "Select" ---> "Color Range" to create masks for specific parts of maps

Could be enhanced VrayColor functionality or perhaps a new node type (VRayColorRange)

Outputs greyscale for use as masks

Applications:
    -Easily create masks from maps directly within Vray, rather than going back and forth in Photoshop.
    -Replace the need to manually mess around with curves to extract specific areas from bitmaps.
    -Would make me happy for the rest of my life

Thanks Chaosgroup

-Alex

Can you not do this already with other maps? Especially with the OSLMap in 3ds Max 2019 it should be pretty straightforward.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yep - you can load in your bitmap, use the curves in the output section to boost up the section of the red, green or blue channel you want by adding control points and dragging the curve up and down, lastly nest this in to the color correct map where you can set all channels to use whatever red, green or blue channel you've adjusted as your matte / alpha.

Comment

Ah I haven't messed around with OSLMaps yet to be honest. Will check them out.

joconnell thanks for the tip man

Comment

I do this all the time with either OUTPUT/ COLOR CORRECT(ION) / COMPOSITE maps.
          Last edited by Vizioen; 18-04-2018, 02:05 AM. Reason: RIP english
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Is there actually an OSL map that does this easily?

i can't find it.

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
            oakcorp.net
            v-ray.jp

Comment

Working...
            X