Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New cmiVFX tutorial : Vray Blender part 3 - Arch.Viz.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cmiVFX tutorial : Vray Blender part 3 - Arch.Viz.

Blender to V-Ray: Volume 3
    In the third part of the V-Ray-Blender tutorial series Nicolò Zubbini will show you intermediate to advanced shading and rendering workflows with V-Ray and Blender. In the two previous parts by Sebastian Koenig you have learned how to setup your Blender to V-Ray Rendering Pipeline and fine tune Lightcache, Irradiance Map and DMC Sampler. Now you can take it to the next level and create believable materials for your architectural renderings. In this over 3.5 hour tutorial you will learn all the professional techniques, hidden tricks and rendering cheats like V-Ray-Proxies, Particle Scattering, Render Passes and Compositing that will help you to really master the Blender to V-Ray Rendering Process.

LINK :
    http://www.cmivfx.com/tutorials/view...ay%3A+Volume+3

Chapter Descriptions
    Glossiness
    Since in real life you rarely have a perfect diffuse surface it is essential for photo reealistic rendering to fully understand how to use subtle glossiness to give your materials the final polish. In this tutorial you will learn how to setup and tweak glossy and fresnel effects while keeping render times on a reasonable level.

Textures
    But to really make your materials believable the most important thing is to know how use textures. Nicolò shows you how to apply textures to the different material channels, which mapping to use and how to setup displacement and dirt-textures. Even the most subtle details can turn an ordinary white material into a vibrant wall surface.

Advanced Techniques
    In the main part of this tutorial Nicolò is walking you through the setup of an architectural indoor rendering, explaining light-setup, materials, textures and render settings. You will also learn how to use a camera-loop with fly-through rendering to efficiently render out a series of images of your scene by re-using the GI-calculations.
    Even though we are rendering an indoor scene, it is also important to create an outside environment. A blue sky is all nice and fine, but without some vegetation the outside world behind the window will be just boring. One key-technique for fast and easy vegetation setups is the use of V-Ray Proxies. Blender is capable of creating these proxy objects for V-Ray so that you can have hundreds of trees with billions of polygons in your scene without any slowdown of viewport or mesh-export. And to easily distribute these proxies in your scene you can make use of Blender's particle system and weight-painting.

Compositing
    To get the most out of your rendering you can make use of Blender's built-in node-editor. Nicolò shows you how to setup and use V-Ray's render channels so that you can render out your image in single passes. These passes can be composited together with Blender's compositor for a maximum of control. By comping the passes one by one you can really finetune the light and color contribution, color-correct each one of them and add some nice and subtle post-processing effects. This tutorial will really take you to the next level of V-Ray rendering with Blender!

About the Author
    Born in 1982 , bachelor of architecture degree, Nicolò works as cg-environment-artist in the fields of architectural visualization (mainly shop interiors) and game development (Galactic Bowling pc/Wii, Rocket Racing League iPhone). He started with Blender in 2008 for low poly game modeling, but it quickly turned into his favorite app and main tool, and immediately he got passionate about the open source world . He is mainly interested in modeling and texture paint, but also render engines, VrayBlender in particular. In 2012 he will work on as environment and texture artist on the Blender Foundation's next Open Movie, codename "Project Mango".

Project Contents

All cmiVFX videos come with all the training materials you can need right from our website. No matter what time of day, your location, or how your feeling, cmiVFX will be there waiting for you!

Re: New cmiVFX tutorial : Vray Blender part 3 - Arch.Viz.

Just awesome!
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

Something new

Comment

When I asked Sebastian a while ago when part 3 was coming out, he sais he didn't have the time and that some else was going to take over, with more experience in this matter (being archviz).
        Thanks for this great video, was looking forward to this part.

Greetz

Comment

Could be really useful, thanks!
          http://www.bupla.com

Comment

Great, exactly what i needed

Comment

bought it, thanks nizu!

Comment

Hi nizu, very useful tutorial! I bought it recently, and I have a few doubts: in order to work well with Vray, do you have to get Color Management active in Blender Internal or not? If we want to work in Linear Workflow, which is the best way to achieve that? And about the gamma, I thought that in Linux you should work with a gamma of 1.8 but you use 2.2 in color mapping, I'm a bit confused with all these terms!
                I know you talk about in chapter 13 but I don't understand well.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hi,
                  Thanks for buying my tutorial , and you did well sending a PM -i didn't have mail notifiy on this thread - it's always hard to keep track of notifications on different forums..

About linear workflow , it's always full of details and caviats :
                  --forget about gamma 1.8 (unless for printing , and even then only if you explicitly know the printer or the service expects gamma 1.
                  Macs used to be 1.8 , but no more since a few years , linux -afaik- is always using 2.2 , at least Ubuntu and similar.
                  --Yes , leave color management active in blender internal (it's mentioned at some point) it will affect also VB in the sense that colors will be displayed sRGB in color pickers and 3d view , but the numeric values you use will be linear , those will be given to Vray ,and that will work with the other settings mentioned in the tutorial (VB defaults : gamma in :1.0 , textures default color space : sRGB , output gamma : 2.2 / or output 1.0 + sRGB button ).

This should be it , ask if there's more.

Comment

Thanks nizu, you solved many concepts I had no clear at all.

I can continue watching the video...

Greetings!

Comment

And what's the practical use of the "linear workflow" button in color mapping panel?
                      In any tutorial I haven't seen this to be used.

Comment

In french, but it's easy to understand :

http://www.mattguetta.com/2011/03/22/co ... -workflow/

http://www.mattguetta.com/2011/06/30/cl ... -workflow/
                        Infographiste 3D freelance - http://www.arnaud-travert.com/

Comment

Merci beaucoup!

Comment

Hi,

I have another question about your tutorial; which is the importance of bucket size? Because your using big buckets instead of the default.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hi,
                              Big bucket sizes are faster to render : around all edges of each bucket Vray must calculate additional samples to make them match .
                              The only advantages of small buckets is faster update of the render (for previewing , especially with the button that makes the next bucket appear under your pointer)

Also consider multithreading : a bucket is done by 1 thread alone , so with 4 or more threads you'll want to use a minimum of 10-20 buckets in total to minimize the time at the end of render when some cores are left unused.
                              Usually buckets are also set in powers of 2 ..more memory effcient i guess , but often less important than having less buckets edges, which means a faster render (so i use fixed buckets number , not size)

Comment

Working...
                              X