Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray for Blender? o.O

Heya

Right I give it a quick look over the forum and yes I mist that thread so...

Vray is for BLENDER? ! :O I thought there were licensing issues that would prevent vray going on blender ever?

Is it paid/free?:O

Coooooooool.

Does it mean I can dig in in to vray code? O.o
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Hi,

Its an exporter, which currently allows the standalone to produce images, though its largely complete. Currently I believe there are some advanced features in development, which will finally bring proper node materials (think 3dsmax slate), but they're not quite ready yet. The exporter has to be open source to be blender compatible, but there are ways and means of interfacing with Vray, without opening up proprietary code, which are being used.

Its completely usable for production work, but it doesn't have quite the same integration as the max version, probably due to licensing, but its still very good, I use it for archviz work successfully, and when advanced features are added, I'll be investing in Vray 3.0, so its worth using. Max users will find the integration isn't as tight yet though, and may be put off though. Personally, I like blender, so it suits me.

Comment

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
      Heya

Right I give it a quick look over the forum and yes I mist that thread so...

Vray is for BLENDER? ! :O I thought there were licensing issues that would prevent vray going on blender ever?
      The forum was just recently moved over here to the CG website - it was an independent development previously, but the developer is now employed by CG. Like ockelford, I too am excited to see greater integration and features with 3.0 (especially the vrmat format for vray materials)

Is it paid/free?:O

Coooooooool.

Does it mean I can dig in in to vray code? O.o
      it's based on the vray standalone that comes with Maya (you have to purchase that to render with vray/blender). Vray is still its usual black box

Comment

Thats pretty cool.

I have maya so does it mean I could use it too?

How about UI writing? Is it python? Would I be able to write up my own UI for it and so on?
        CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
          I have maya so does it mean I could use it too?
          Yes, if you have V-Ray for Maya, it will work right away (for V-Ray 3.0, we also added the standalone to the 3ds max version).

How about UI writing? Is it python? Would I be able to write up my own UI for it and so on?
          The connection itself is open source so you can do whatever you want, yes.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
          X