Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDRI lighting setup problem

Hello,

My vray/blender version is: vrayblender-2.69-82238c3-windows-x86_64.
    Vray core is 2.0

I have problem with the HDRI lighting setup in blender. I try to setup all settings as in real world outdoor (110 000 lux), and then keep them in interior scene changing only physical camera settings (shutter speed).
    Usually i use vray sun + vray sky, but I try to get natural look of renders. Please tell me how to use HDRI lighting correctly in blender? Step by step... I made a simple scene with physical camera, Hemi light with HDRI image from Openfootage website. Background has this map to. But render looks very bed with artifacts and strange reflection. I attached a few of images and blend file.

HDRI test 04.zip
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vray_hdr_lighting_render_test_04.01_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	879249Click image for larger version

Name:	HDRI test 04 - console.01.jpg
Size:	464.6 KB
ID:	879250

Name:	HDRI test 04 - viewport 04.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	879252Click image for larger version

Name:	HDRI test 04 - viewport 03.jpg
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	879253

Hi,

I just opened your file.

First thing I noticed that under the sky texture 'bitmap' settings you have sRGB selected. Under 'image', these colour settings seem to relate to how blender uses the file in the viewport, but Vray colour settings are controlled under 'bitmap'.

It fixed it for me when I tested the same HDRI from open footage.net i.e. natural shadows, balnced reflections etc.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Comment

To clarify: I changed the image type to 'Linear'

Comment

Thanks for the report!
        The problem was actually with camera clipping, because there should be no need to setup environment texture - dome light texture must be visible if "Invisible" light attribute is off.
        So, I've added additional controls to disable clipping ("Clip Far" and "Clip Near"), they are off by default.
        About artifacts - you just have pretty low GI settings. Try using default and High IM (Irradiance Map) preset.
        Since "Update Exporter" is broken is this build I'll upload new build as soon as possible or you could try doing this and then use "Update Exporter" (but start Blender "As Administrator") or update exporter manually.
        V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
        andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
        Support Request

Comment

Hi,

Didn't realise there was a camera clipping issue, but a bugfix is always good!

I still think the texture for the sky needs setting to Linear Though. The attached render shows the effect of making the change. I also reduced the noise threshold to .01, which was at a quite high setting in the file.

I thnk this looks natural, compared with the one posted originally.

R

Name:	HDRI_test_04_Camera.0001.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	851059

Comment

It works now, thanks to solve my problem. I`ll try to update my exporter, to have these additional controls.

REGARDS

Comment

Working...
            X