Blender VRay 3.0 Displacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender VRay 3.0 Displacement

What is the correct way to get VRay Displacement to work in the latest Blender nightlies using VRay 3.0?
    I have tried adding displacement in the Object Node Tab and in the Material Node Tab.
    Could a dev, or someone, please post a render showing VRay Displacement working AND ALSO post a shot of the settings? I have been fighting with this for weeks.
    I moved to VRay for my career, but it looks like I may have to switch to Octane, given the support AND documentation are there.
    I don't want to, but this isn't VRay for Max or Maya or Sketchup or Rhino or anything that has decent documentation. I know we're fighting that with Blender in general. Please, devs, don't make us fight with it with VRay.
    I am several days behind in several projects trying to get this going. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Logan
    Omnia Mutantur
    logan683@gmail.com

Origin Genesis Pro
    -i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    -GeForce GTX Titan X @ +200 GPU, +300 Memory x2 non-SLI
    -32GB RAM
    -Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Have you checked "Node Examples" section here https://github.com/bdancer/vb30/wiki ?
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

Every day. I have it bookmarked. But it only shows two outputs. The geometry input is classified as an output when you bring up nodes to add. I can't get the VRay subsurf to work. And this has been brought up before in a previous thread, but it want addressed. I realize there is some translation needed when reading about VRay. I'm constantly adapting Max or Maya ways of doing things. But this is completely unclear. As are the colour inputs/outputs. Please provide an example of how to make the displacement and subsurface through VRay. I'm having to use Blender mods at the moment, and I know that isn't necessary. I will continue to ask until I receive answers that I need. This is costing me time and money trying to integrate VRay Blender into my workflow.
      Again, please provide examples.
      Than you.
      Logan
      Omnia Mutantur
      logan683@gmail.com

Origin Genesis Pro
      -i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
      -32GB RAM

Comment

As I wrote check examples section. Here is how you do displacement: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bd...splacement.png Subsurf is the same, but with "Subdivision" node instead of "Displacement".
        Support Request

Comment

Thank you for the shot. Look, just for fun, could you show me a render shot with displacement and subsurf with a shot of the nodes?
          I apologize of these seem like n00b questions, but I've been looking on enough forums to know I'm not the only one struggling with this.
          And I apologize for sounding frustrated. You have an excellent product. That's why I want to understand it's use with Blender so bad.
          I have a side question, also. I implement textures directly in the material nodes, lamp nodes, world nodes, etc. What is a situation where the texture node tab would be needed?
          I know this isn't Cycles, and I'm not trying to treat it as such. However, since Blender Foundation implemented Cycles, that tab became useless. Why would I need it in VRay?
          Thank you.
          Logan
          Omnia Mutantur
          logan683@gmail.com

Origin Genesis Pro
          -i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
          -32GB RAM

Comment

Look, just for fun, could you show me a render shot with displacement and subsurf with a shot of the nodes?
            Sure:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	vb30_displace_subdiv.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	854150

What is a situation where the texture node tab would be needed?
            You may need it for (same with Cycles btw):
            - particle emitter params mapping
            - modifier param mapping
            - displace modifier
            - i guess lot more applications
            Attached Files
            Support Request

Comment

I tell you what. Thank you, thank you. That is great and gives me something to go with.
              And thank you for the texture node help.
              To be clear, if I use an image for displacement, I need the Named Channel making node. I get that. It's a 2D texture going on a 3D object and that's how I know to map in Max. If the image texture is mapped in the Geometry Node tab, why would I ever need the Texture Node tab for that, specifically?
              Logan
              Omnia Mutantur
              logan683@gmail.com

Origin Genesis Pro
              -i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
              -32GB RAM

Comment

Named Channel mapping node, I mean. I hate auto-correct.
                Logan
                Omnia Mutantur
                logan683@gmail.com

Origin Genesis Pro
                -i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
                -32GB RAM

Comment

Just don't use this tab.
                  The first image here explains tabs you need: https://github.com/bdancer/vb30/wiki/Nodes-Layout
                  Last edited by bdancer; 14-09-2014, 03:43 AM.
                  Support Request

Comment

Aw, man. I did totally miss that in the first image. Avoid Render Layers Node tab and Texture Nodes tab. Got it.
                    Than you, bdancer. I'm gonna get back to work in the morning with this new information. I really do appreciate it.
                    I'll be back with more questions if I any find answers, I'm sure.
                    Logan
                    Omnia Mutantur
                    logan683@gmail.com

Origin Genesis Pro
                    -i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
                    -32GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                    X