Maya & Vray to Blender & Vray - General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya & Vray to Blender & Vray - General Discussion

This is not an announcement but felt this area would be the best place for this thread.

I'm considering moving from Maya/Vray to Blender/Vray and wanted to get some input from experienced Blender/Vray users before I dedicated too much time into the transition. What in general can I expect?

When comparing 3ds/Maya Vray are there any major considerations with Blender Vray?

-Gaps in functionality?
    -Substantial lag time of new version release?
    -How good is the integration? Seamless for the most part like Maya/3ds or are there some issues?
    -How much of a priority is Vray for Blender development for Chaosgroup (if any devs are about please pipe in).

Making the switch to Blender from Maya largely depends on the completeness of Vray now and in the future. I imagine it challenging for Chaosgroup to keep up with development for an open source package (just my thoughts at a glance).

ALSO, will my license of Vray/Maya work for Vray/Blender? I doubt it, but it would be nice if that were the case. I don't mind purchasing another license, but for testing it would be nice to have the full version of Vray.

Best,

Basically, the main difference is that V-Ray for Blender is an exporter, it always generates a vrscene file (like V-Ray for Maya DR or RT).

> will my license of Vray/Maya work for Vray/Blender?

Yes, it will, Blender uses V-Ray Standalone (render node) license which you already have with V-Ray for Maya.
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

Working...
    X