Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new computer mainly for rendering

Hi,

I'm trying to decide am I gonna go with CUDA or OpenCL.
    So far I've been rendering with my Imac with CPU, thats pretty slow. So I don't have any experience on CUDA or OpenCL. Which one is better? Any comments on those?
    Any thoughts on that? I was thinking about Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 or 1080, and possibly adding another similar later if needed. Any experience on similar setup?
    So far I've been rendering with my Imac with CPU, thats pretty slow. Im waiting for this new setup to speed up a lot my rendering times and therefore let me consentrate more on the details and so on. Any other things I should consider about the new computer or anything else?

Any ideas or feedback are very welcome.

Thanks,

J

first question for you, what size of your projects will be:
    1. Will you be rendering just products , that required 8Gb of ram.
    2. Interior scenes that needed up to 12 or more than 12gb.
    3. Exteriors, where a lot of ram will be needed, a lot means (minimum 32Gb or more)

if your answer 1. than i think you should go with GPU,
    if your answer 2. than i think you need both because when you retch the limit of 12 with your gpu ram than you have to go for hybrid rendering, where your gpu will be not so fast i think like just with rt or something,
    if your answer 3. than i better buy AMD threadriper or AMD Ryzen, it is better price performace main problen with RYZEN is you can not put more than 64GB of ram, and it has less pcie lanes, IF you have imac i5 that is total shit for 3d graphiks, if you have i7 like 4790 than Ryzen 1700x will be about 2x faster than i7 4790k, Threadriper about 4x than i7, that is my thoughts. Maybe some one else will say I am wrong, and try to look in vray 3dsmax, maya and so one forum thraeds, because there are a lot more users asking same questions like yours, mabe you find more detailed answer.

Comment

Thanks for answering. I was thinking about this comp that has a Intel Core i7-7700k, 4.2 GHz as processor and Gtx 1080 ti as gpu. So it might be a good choise for Cuda and cpu+gpu rendering?

Comment

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...ects-purposes/ look at bentchmarks, price point is similar, but in blender cycles 1700x are more faster about 20-25 percents, i gues that vray will be faster on ryzen too because of more cores i would prefer ryzen than intel, but it is your decision

Comment

Thanks! This indeed helps my decision. I think I'll go with 1080 Ti and ryzen. I hope its a good combo!

Comment

I got 2 Gtx1070 + Ryzen 1800x + 32GB RAM @3200mhz and it's a sweet combo. It covers both my CPU/GPU rendering needs (so far) Coming from an I7 4770K it's been a huge improvement in processing/rendering power. Had I waited a couple of months I would've invested in a threadripper build better, the price/performance ratio of the ryzen architecture is an amazing value.
            Windows 10 Pro, 2x GTX 1070, AMD Ryzen7 1800X, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, V-Ray Standalone/Blender, V-Ray 3 for Sketchup, V-Ray 3 for Modo

Comment

Working...
            X