Sockets updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sockets updates

Builds starting from 2018.01.19 will have updated types for sockets, which will enable us to make soft ranges (slider range) have normal values. For now the only "Standard Material" node has correct ranges.

However materials in scenes created with new builds (after 2018.01.19), will not be loaded correctly by older builds. This means any nodes you create with new build can't be used with older builds. However old scenes should open and render fine with new builds but will not have correct ranges for values.

If you have old scenes and you want to convert all nodes in the scene to new ones there is a button to do that in Scene -> Node Tools -> Update Sockets... This will update all slider ranges in your scene, but should not change any set values or connections. As with all scene modifications make sure you have backups before applying the change.

If you notice any bugs related to these changes or you have any questions, write here.

thank you for notifying

Comment

Good to know, thanks! Does this include the conversion of the reflect glossiness flip to match max? (https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...152#post971152) I have not updated my Blender since before then, so I'm just wondering how many changes I need to check on once I have time to test new builds.

Comment

andybot_cg No that has been re-worked (and the invert option removed) as it is in max, check next posts in the same thread.

Comment

Originally posted by poseidon4o View Post
          andybot_cg No that has been re-worked (and the invert option removed) as it is in max, check next posts in the same thread.
          My files right now have the old incorrect reflection settings where full glossy = 100%. Will I still need to use the invert tool to correct my material settings, or has that changed in this latest re-work?

Comment

Now it should be exactly like in max. If there is no texture connected the closer the value of Reflect Glossiness to 1 is the more glossy it is, and respectively the closer to 0, the more diffuse it is. When there is texture connected to the socket, there is second percentage multiplier which controls the conribution of the texture. When the texture multiplier is 100%, then only the texture value is used, if it is lower then the socket value gets used proportionally.

Comment

Yes, I understand that the multiplier is matching max. I am wondering about converting old models that had this reversed. I'll test it out when I have a chance to use the newest build, but I wanted to know now if it is something I will need to do manually with old models.

Comment

Working...
              X