Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing vray 1.5 on ubuntu

Ok here is my trouble.
    I did buy a vray license. and under windows it run fine. But windows is a crap.
    but under ubuntu i can t get it to run. i did install the wibu keys drivers. the setvrlservice return
    dagobert@dagobert-desktop:/opt/vray/plugins/bin$ ./setvrlservice.exe -dump
    Current settings:
    Server: "localhost"
    Port: 30304
    but when i launch a render i got an error 111
    maybe a firewall trouble or maybe it s just impossible...?
    if someone can help me...
    thx

Re: installing vray 1.5 on ubuntu

dagobert
    It's better to contact ChaosGroup about vray-itself problems.
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

I did, and they tell me that there is no server for linux. so you need to install the vray server on a windows (or mac) machine and to point onto it with setvrlservice.
      The vray server should work with the next release....
      Im really disapointed...
      hope that at least you will be able to make the upgrade for free....
      So standalone are for mac user, windows user, and linux if you can point onto a windows or mac computer to read the license.

Comment

News from Chaos,

Now you should use your vray license + Wibu on Linux hosts (No Windows or mac needed).

I've recently bought a Vray standalone license + WiBu key, I immediately send a "complain" to Chaosgroup about the lack of a linux version of vrlserver. They quickly provide me with a Vrlserver beta version for linux that works VERY well on my Ubuntu 9.10 host/network.

So, in order to run vrlserver on linux you should follow these steps:
        1 Send a mail to Chaosgroup asking them for vrlserver for linux (specify 32 or 64bit version)
        2 Install it and remember to run it as root (it will need the 30304 port open by default, so check you firewall rules).
        3 on the main host (that one with the WiBu key plugged in) type (as user):$ ./setvrlservice.exe -server="localhost" -port="30304"
        4 on a network node type (as user):$ ./setvrlservice.exe -server="main_host_name_or_ip" -port="30304"

done. You should now run vray from local and remote hosts on your network.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the info. This is great news

Comment

This is strange. I installed into my ubuntu system but it is very slow. For example, simple scene where is only cube on screen. No GI. With my Q6600
            it takes over 6 seconds in linux when it takes only 0,92 seconds in windows 7. I have tried to change threads: Auto or 4. But it dosen't fix the problem.

Comment

Did you check if all of your cores are getting used? I also noticed that only about 40-50% are used on my core i7... I put it down as a demo restriction until now. Setting threads to 8 explicitly didn't make a difference. I am using Ubuntu 9.10 64bit.

Comment

I had the same issue when my firewall was not set properly.

Comment

Ok - I really need help with that here as I see that you guys have some experience with Vray under Ubuntu. I did everything that IvanM wrote and set server to localhost at 30304. Going to http://localhost:30304 tells me that connection couldn't be established :/ I got no firewall on. WIBU key works under Windows machine and I started VRay there all right. I also managed to run demo version without issues. So - do I need to start anything more than setvrlservice.exe and specifying server? I'm in touch with CG about this but I'd like to get this fast up and running.

Comment

Hi, my experience is nothing more than single Ubuntu 64 setup.
                    Initially I could render by serving licence from remote windows based machine. After that I managed to download/install Wibu linux64 driver and linux vrlservice. Works very solid. But I had no tests of distributed renders or serving licence from that linux machine to other rendering computers.

Only thing I tested is I "ping'ed" all possible connections and of course all work in my case..

Comment

Working...
                    X