Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray problem under Ubuntu

Hi there,

I am using V-Ray under Windows 7 for some time now. No Problem there. Now I finaly wanted to run it under Ubuntu 9.04 because all my other stuff is running under linux. I set up the license server with the Dongle on an old WinXP machine in the Network. Now the problem: it won't render and is displaying this message

/usr/autodesk/maya2009-x64/vray/bin/vray.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libcgauth.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I do not find any information on this libcgauth.so on the web, so maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Sven

Re: V-Ray problem under Ubuntu

Ok, I appologize for beeing so stupid....

I used the vray.exe instead of the vray in the folder. Now it is working.

I have the impression, that the rendering is much slower than it was under windows. I thought i read somwhere here in the forum about others having the same issue. Will search for it.

Sven

Comment

I just read that the slow rendering might have something to do with the firewall settings...

Anyboy here that has a clue how to solve the problem?

Checked the system monitor: During the prepasses all 8 cores (16 Threads) are just working on an average of 10-15%. Therefor it is so slow. When rendering the image the all of a sudden all jump to the full 100% workload.

Sven

Comment

Are you using non-demo of vray for maya? May be you should try some nightly builds - you can ask Vlado (vlado@chaosgroup.com) for access to the nightly builds.
        V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
        andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
        Support Request

Comment

Hi Andrey,

I am using the Full 2009 64-Bit version of V-Ray for Linux, not the demo version. Ubuntu 9.04 64-Bit and Blender 2.49

Sven

Comment

Increased the bucket size from 32 to 128. This is speeding up the rendering a huge amount. But still not to compare with Windows. I just wrote an email to Vlado at Chaosgroup. maybe this problem can be solved.

Comment

I'm still having this problem too and I would love to hear how to fix it. Playing with firewall settings
              didn't help.

Comment

Hello everybody!
                Is there any progress/solution to the issue?
                I'm also experiencing the dramtic slowdowns on fully set up scenes. (Ubuntu 9.1/64bit).
                Until resolution and GI complexity aren't high it all seems to work at similar speeds to windows. But at final setup i've noticed 12x more time needed in linux than in windows.

I don't play to much with nightly builds.. Maybe one of them solves the problem..

Comment

No solution yet.

As it is Blender/V-Ray under Linux is just to slow for me to use it in production. Because I have no time to spend for this sproblem I hope that some day someone will come up with a solution. Until then I will stay with windows (which is kind of sad ).

Comment

I've no such problems in Ubuntu (may be because of custom kernel .
                    I think you should contact chaosgroup and give them all info about CPU load to fix this.
                    Support Request

Comment

Hey Andrey,

which version of Ubuntu are you using as base?

Comment

This is kind of unpredictable issue..
                        After I have opended and edited the failing scene in windows (final renders in windows took 60 mins/each). I went back to Ubuntu and then all seemed to behave right again: Bucket size = 128; render time on same camera was 72 mins (20% longer than in windows 64 bit).

The modifications I made in windows session were: re-applying displacement textures, toggle some lights from visible to non visible. It shouldn't have impacted the render times so much but it did.

Trying to replicate whole process/problem - when I have it defined, i will send the data to Chaosgroup...

Comment

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit (currently with custom kernel with Con Kolivas patchset)
                          Support Request

Comment

Working...
                          X