Glass-water interface question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass-water interface question

Trying to figure out the best way to get better results for fluids in a glass. AFAIK there are two usual ways of doing this: slightly intersecting the water volume with the glass or adding materials with different IORs for each surface interface( something like the autodesk example below). How does Vray handle this best?

I tried the Autodesk method and it didn't go too well for some reason.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya...er_and_Liquids
    Last edited by ioioiofilip; 29-10-2019, 09:31 AM.

I do slightly intersecting

Comment

Originally posted by kropaman View Post
      I do slightly intersecting
      Yeah, it seems the best method so far. I tried the second one since the slight intersecting one doesn't have very clean reflections compared with other rendering engines in blender. Lux render being the best so far for glass, although noisier and slower. Oh well...

Comment

Originally posted by ioioiofilip View Post
        ...the slight intersecting one doesn't have very clean reflections compared with other rendering engines...
        To be a fair comparison check if you're using the same Max Depth (for refraction and reflection) in both engines.
        In Vray the default is 5, I don't know if in Lux it is the same.

Also try enabling "Reflect on back side" checkbox.
        architect at oona

Comment

Originally posted by leandro_cs View Post

To be a fair comparison check if you're using the same Max Depth (for refraction and reflection) in both engines.
          In Vray the default is 5, I don't know if in Lux it is the same.

Also try enabling "Reflect on back side" checkbox.
          Lux has global values for max depth ref/refl and the results are no longer noticeable at 60- 80 bounces. With vray it's around 30 bounces which is what I usually use for glass if it's product design. I always use reflect on back side for glass unless it's architectural.

Here's a basic setup with a dark background and 2 point lighting (Both are Vray just objects with different detail levels). The reflections seem frantic inside the bottles for some reason.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ioioiofilip; 19-11-2019, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X