Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about V-Ray for Blender

Hi all,
    So I'm making the move to Blender from Max (didn't renew maintenance this year) and would like to use my V-Ray license. I've read a bit here about how that should be possible but still have a few questions, please.
    1 - Is V-Ray for Blender at the point where it is just like V-Ray for Max? Same features, etc...? I'm getting the impression it's a lesser, still developing build at this point.
    2 - I'm reading quite a bit about "standalone" - can V-Ray be added to Blender's list of Renderers an use within the program - like with Max?
    3 - Are the same materials and maps available?
    4 - I'm also switching to Linux Mint - any experience or thoughts on using with that platform?
    5 - Do I need to contact Chaos Group about officially switching licence status?

Any other details I should know would be appreciated.

Thanks!

5. You should be able to install the current V-Ray for Blender 2.79 version build available in the ChaosGroup downloads and be able to render right away if you already have V-Ray for Max installed. It should just find the default paths and work out of the box.
    2. You do render within the program more or less (shader setups, cameras, animation, etc.are all done through Blender) The V-Ray rendering is in the list of renderers - if you install the V-Ray build. (Starting a rendering calls the V-Ray frame buffer, so the render itself is in a separate window outside of Blender.)
    3. You do set up the materials and maps (for ex. all the UV editing you would normally do) in Blender, but you do need to set up the shader nodes specific to V-Ray. I have some sample shaders in this thread. andybot's collection

However, getting to question #1 - the biggest hindrance with the last released version of V-Ray for Blender is a lack of IPR and real-time feedback. I'm hoping the 2.8 rebuild will bring us into the current age of interactive rendering, but the developers have been generally mum about whether or not this will be accomplished.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Hate that IPR is not part of the package - I've really come to rely on it with my Max install.
      Looking through the Blender installs and not seeing a Linux Mint friendly version... :/

Comment

Working...
      X