PBR Next workflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBR Next workflow

​​I've seen this discussed here before but still doesn't answer some of my questions regarding PBR materials. So if anyone has a better insight please share.
    I tested with a Quixel Mixer material but as I would have expected recreating this in Vray for Blender was cumbersome and confusing (it took a minute in Cycles to set a similar material).

First thing was to set the metalness, glossiness and normal maps to linear space. I didn't find this documented anywhere so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Questions:

1. Why is there no option to use roughness instead of glossiness? And if there is it sure is hidden. Afaik 3ds max has this switch.

2. Why does the Intensity output have different results than the yellow Output? I tried plugging them in a Diffuse pass and they are exactly the same. Gloss and metalness should be a float numer, right?

Below are a few examples. It still doesn't sit right with me, especially the roughness map, but this might be due to the way the different renderers work. That's what I'm trying to get straight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-13 123359.png Views:	0 Size:	842.6 KB ID:	1110496

Here's a Cycles render for comparison. Both Vray and Cycles have an additional sun light besides the HDRI

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-13 133409.png Views:	0 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	1110497

Quixel support says this way how to connect V-Ray nodes:
    https://help.quixel.com/hc/en-us/com...ing-with-vray-
    Win7 Ultimate 64bit, GTX 970, Standalone version: V-Ray Next 4.30.03,

Comment

Thanks for your help JuhaW.

I did come across that page before but it didn't fix this particular case since the albedo/diffuse map isn't the issue here.

What puzzled me in this case is the difference between "Output", "Color" and "Intensity" for non color data. It would be logical if "Intensity" worked best, but it doesn't for some reason, that's why I'm thinking I got this wrong.

Comment

Can you upload that monkey scene with your settings and textures ?
        Win7 Ultimate 64bit, GTX 970, Standalone version: V-Ray Next 4.30.03,

Comment

Originally posted by JuhaW View Post
          Can you upload that monkey scene with your settings and textures ?
          Sure. Thanks. https://we.tl/t-BWxNSxSWZO

Comment

Working...
          X