Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bump maps in Vray 3

Hi,

I'm trying to add a bump map procedural to an object, but I just can't work out what to connect to where in the nodes.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks, Jay.

Templates -> Material -> Classic textured
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

Thanks, I'll check that out

Comment

Just in case anyone new would like to know:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Procedural-Bump-VRayMtl.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	855229

Comment

Can someone please help me figure out how to add a bump map to a material? I would like to know how to use height maps and normal tangent maps.
          I did a search for "NT" and found nothing so the solution here seems like out-dated information.
          I tried following the node setup here and there was no change to my material.
          I am also confused why there are two different Bump nodes (Material>Bump and BRDF>Bump). I assume I am supposed to use BRDF but is that correct? What is the difference between the two?
          I tried plugging bump maps into various inputs of the Standard Material as well, figuring that perhaps the Standard Material was an improvement upon VRayMtl as far as ease of use but I got no bump with that either.
          Cycles is straightforward but this....it seems like some kind of alchemy. No way should it be this hard. I would be very appreciative to anyone who could tell me or show me how to do a simple node setup to add bump that actually works.

Comment

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bd...mp_mapping.png
            Win7 Ultimate 64bit, GTX 970, Standalone version: V-Ray Next 4.30.03,

Comment

That is the exact link that I linked to, and said that I already tried in my post

Comment

Bump, left image without, right with bump:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot351.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	860454
                Win7 Ultimate 64bit, GTX 970, Standalone version: V-Ray Next 4.30.03,

Comment

Thanks for your help. I figured out the problems. First of all, from all my testing, Bump maps don't work unless they are plugged in to Out Intensity. I also discovered that Normal Maps won't work with Out Intensity but with Output and Color and finally I learned that the values have to be very small (lower than 1) to really work right.

Comment

Working...
                  X