Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamma 2.2

Hi,

I've been through a lot of tutorials lately for Max with Vray, and I keep seeing other users using Gamma 2.2 instead of the default, which is normally 1.0. I'm still a little unclear on why, plus there's some things regarding this that doesn't get mentioned specifically to Blender.

There are 3 options for Gamma with Blender and Vray:

1) In the Scene panel, under Color Management there is a Gamma setting, default is at 1.0
    2) Within Color Mapping in Vray Globals tab, default set at 1.0
    3) Lastly, there is an option for Input Gamma, which by default is switched off.

Can anyone enlighten me whether all these should be set at Gamma 2.2 in Blender/Vray, or not? If so, why isn't 2.2 default?

Thanks for any help on this, it's puzzling me and I think it's pretty important.

Jay.

Check this topic: http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...workflow-setup
    V-Ray For Houdini | V-Ray Hydra Delegate | VRayScene
    andrei.izrantcev@chaos.com
    Support Request

Comment

You can check this topic http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...workflow-setup

there is one difference, you will not be able to find adaptation only, instead od this now you have mode, with dropdown menu which you can choose from:
      don't affect colors (nothing is applied), color mapping only (only color maping is applied, without gamma), Color mapping&gamma (all is applied to final image)

Comment

Thanks guys,

The linear workflow stuff is a real head-scratcher, but from what little I gleaned, it appears this is the ideal setup for most scenes. Please correct me if you think I'm wrong

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gamma_Setup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	855253

Comment

my settings.

Name:	Captura.jpg
Size:	506.4 KB
ID:	858817

Comment

by doubts

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	491.6 KB
ID:	858818

Comment

I don't understand what the Sync With CM Gamma option does exactly. Can someone please explain that to me?

The V-Ray to Blender User Guide says "Sync With Gamma - when enabled sets Blender's "Color Management" Gamma to 1" but PablonchoWorks posted settings where Color Management Gamma is set to 0.455 with the Sync With CM Gamma enabled in Color Mapping. So the way I read it, with PablonchWorks enabling Sync With CM Gamma, his Color Management value should be 1 or overridden as 1 even though the value is 0.455.

What is the full story with this setting?

Comment

From my own tests, here is what I figured out:

Enable Sync With CM Gamma
                If you have "Use Input Gamma" enabled (regardless of what Input Value is entered), then enabling "Sync With CM Gamma" will set Blender's Color Management>Gamma to a value that is inverse of the gamma 2.2 response curve, which is a value of 0.455. Enabling this does not ensure that the Gamma Value is 1, nor will having "Sync With CM Gamma" change anything in Color Management>Gamma so long as "Use Input Gamma" is/remains disabled.

Conclusion: All these settings produce the same CORRECT output:
                Color Mapping Defaults except Gamma: 2.2 (With or without Sync With CM Gamma enabled), Color Management Defaults and Node Editor>Bitmap Settings Defaults.
                Color Mapping Defaults except Gamma: 2.2 with Use Input Gamma enabled with an Input Gamma Value of 0.454, Color Management Defaults and Node Editor>Bitmap Settings Defaults.
                Color Mapping Defaults except Gamma: 2.2 with Use Input Gamma enabled with an Input Gamma Value of 0.454 with Sync With CM Gamma enabled, Color Management Defaults except Gamma changed to 0.455 and Node Editor>Bitmap Settings Defaults.
                Color Mapping Defaults except Gamma: 2.2, Color Management Defaults except Gamma changed to 0.455 and Node Editor>Bitmap Settings Defaults.

Comment

I should mention that all my tests were working only with a color corrected image. I haven't yet tested the dynamic of adding float images yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X